GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   coastal Eng planting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/52380-coastal-eng-planting.html)

lili today, who knows tomorrow? 12-02-2004 08:44 PM

coastal Eng planting

I hope no one minds my instrusion here. I am desperately trying to
study what sort of things I can get away with growing. In one month I
will be moving from somewhere incredibly warm and tropical to the
English southern coast (not the warmer Cornwell side, though. It is
apparently more of a patio than garden (I haven't seen it myself!), so
I am wondering if I can get away with filling it with potted plants
whose bases I could wrap warmly in winter. I've no idea, really, as I
can throw any corm, seed or living organism into my garden here and it
will grow. I have friends enough in England whose quaint little
English gardens I can enjoy and visit and want to have my patio/garden
full of things which will help me not to be so homesick. I hate to
leave my champaca trees behind, but I have to. Can anyone make
suggestions for plants who are looking tropical but are maybe hardy
enough to survive southern England? There will be NO room in the house
for any plants in the winter, alas, it is extremely tiny.....
Thank you in advance..

Lili Adonie

David Hill 12-02-2004 09:32 PM

coastal Eng planting

I will give the same advice as I gave regarding container trees for
Scotland.
Ask on uk.rec.gardening.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Frogleg 12-02-2004 09:33 PM

coastal Eng planting

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:50:27 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

I will give the same advice as I gave regarding container trees for
Scotland.
Ask on uk.rec.gardening.

Agree. The UK seems to be composed of a wide variety of
micro-climates. uk.rec.gardening may very well yield answers from
people who live and garden in exactly the area you're contemplating.