Old 16-02-2004, 09:35 AM
griffon

Default spring fever

I really should not look at catalogs or sites that offer not to charge
my card until shipping season and which give you special offers for
ordering early.

At least I will finally have some Cyclamen in my garden. Namely:
coum, cilicium, and hederifolium which I bought quite a few of since
it was the only one I was certain about. I also bought three
varieties of lilies, which I am not understanding at the moment since
traditionally I am as far from being a lily fan as possible. Some
crocosmia, some oxalis, zephyranthus, lycoris... oh well. I keep
looking at other stuff too. I am already planning to be home two days
this week because it will be in the upper fifties and I want to move
some shrubs and things while they are still sleeping. I finally saw
some crocus greenery peeking above the mulch today, that made me quite
happy. I am anxious for something to bloom.
Old 16-02-2004, 03:02 PM
madgardener

"griffon" wrote in message
[...]

yep, that sounds like spring fever all right. It could be more serious
symptoms of perennial disease or garden obsessive impulsive syndrome. I
myself am still looking for a good twelve step program for my sticky pot
disease. It applies to catalogs too..........Now.....which crocosmia did
you order? What kind of oxalis? Which color rain lilies? White, pink or
yellow? As for the lilies, just remember to plant their feet in the shade
and their heads in the sun. You'll love them once they flower for you. I
adore mine and always want more of their sentinal presences jutting out of
my fairy gardens.

You have crocus leaves poking out of your mulch? What zone are you in?
(this is important in regards to hardiness of the Zepheranthes) I have
snowdrops myself and some of the older narcissus not only have leaves but
have little pointy headed buds tucked tight against the leaves too. Yes,
Spring is on her way. I have already started the spring clean-up of my
gardens way too soon. I have green spikes scattered all thru my beds from
the irises new leaves, and my Hellebore are shoving fists of burgandy green
wrapped buds from between the new leaf shoots that will replace last years
protective patrons. Once the new leaves have estabilished themselves I will
cut them off to make room for the newer ones to shelter the buds.

You deffinately have the disease Griphon. But what a wonderful disease it
is g

Keep us posted on your gardens, it's always nice to hear about someones
endeavors of happiness.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 17-02-2004, 06:42 AM
griffon

"madgardener" wrote:

"griffon" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Lucifer, Emily McKenzie, Norwich Canary.

What kind of oxalis?

deppi 'Iron Cross', depressa, lasiandra, rubra. I already have some
of the 'Iron Cross' but I absolutely love that plant and so I am am
buying more. The oxalis seem to be good plants to stick in any little
blank spots that don't get too dry. I had some purple leaved/pink
blooming ones that my mother raised as houseplants for as long as I
could remember, I took some of those and stuck them in the garden and
they seemed quite happy.

Which color rain lilies? White, pink or yellow?

Pink. Grandiflora, I think.

As for the lilies, just remember to plant their feet in the shade
and their heads in the sun. You'll love them once they flower for you. I
adore mine and always want more of their sentinal presences jutting out of
my fairy gardens.

I have to figure out where exactly to plant them. I am frequently
visited by cats and let mine out some and supposedly lilies are one of
the poisonious plants that cats are more likely to nibble on. I say
supposedly since I read it online, so who knows. My cats do not
venture towards the road, thankfully, so perhaps out that way.
Although at least one of the varieties is pretty tall, so that might
be an issue sticking up several feet over a bunch of smaller plants.
I'll figure something out.

You have crocus leaves poking out of your mulch? What zone are you in?
(this is important in regards to hardiness of the Zepheranthes)

6b, right on the verge of 7. I don't have many crocus yet, two years
ago I bought a big bag of "early blooming crocus" at Lowe's or Home
Depot or somewhere and stuck them in little drifts under the pine bark
in front of my house where I have some japanese maples and evergreen
shrubs, it is some of those that are peeking out. Actually this
morning two yellow blooms had appeared, although yesterday I saw no
sign of buds. Funny how fast that happens. I also noticed that some
other things are sticking up. Probably some narcissus, I think.

Last fall I bought a bunch of species tulip and crocus bulbs this
fall, got sick and wasn't able to plant them, and then things kept
getting in the way. Finally planted them in the first few days of
January, but I have a bad feeling about most of them. That's about
$120 down the drain if they are all dead on me. I think this fall I
will order some stuff really early to make sure I can get it planted.
Becuase I really crave late fall and winter blooming things, when
everything else is dead. I want some saffron crocus and some other
fall-bloomers and will definately early-order some of those in the
fall. I actually bought all of the stuff last fall on a whim, when
someone here was talking about Bulbmeister having everything on sale.
There was a lot of selection left considering how late it was.

As for that Zeph, I will plant part of them on the south side of the
house and see how they do there with a thick mulch. Put the others in
a container and bring them into the garage or something for winter, or
lift them, whatever. I'll have to see what some sites suggest later
on.

I have snowdrops myself

I bought some of those last fall too, no sign of them either. Dead, I
am guessing. Some of this stuff might just wait till next year to
show up, but some of it was looking dry and/or sprouting by the time I
was able to plant it.

[...]

I have seen some new iris leaves popping up as well. And to remind me
spring is just around the corner, we have our first shot at severe
weather later this week (been in the 40s everyday, now it is going to
hit the low 70s so tornado season is on the way). I worked outside
today and did some cleaning up, also moved a huge pyrancthea (sp?)
that was "temporarily" planted next to the house, proceeded to grow to
twenty feet tall trying to find the sun, and generally looked quite
ugly. I hate the thorns and unless it produces a lot more berries in
it's new home, I think it will find it's way to the compost heap. I
replaced it with a vine maple, which should be happy in the partially
shaded location. I intend to use most of the week moving and
cleaning. I planted a bunch of shrubs in one area that was basically
a temporary home for whatever struck my fancy but I had no place
picked out for, and those shrubs are getting bigger all the time... so
that should keep me busy.
Old 17-02-2004, 07:32 AM
B & J

"madgardener" wrote in message

yep, that sounds like spring fever all right. It could be more serious
symptoms of perennial disease or garden obsessive impulsive syndrome. I
myself am still looking for a good twelve step program for my sticky pot
disease. It applies to catalogs too...........

You deffinately have the disease Griphon. But what a wonderful disease it
is g

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English

I received my seed order from Park last Friday and spent part of the weekend
planting seeds from a variety of peppers, ornamental, hot hungarians, and
bell along with aqilegia (oragami mix and music harmony). One packet of
columbines had 10 seeds in it and the other 15. Ordinarily, I would plant
the seeds directly in the ground, but I figured seeds that cost .20 - .30
each deserved a little TLC. I also planted some datura (Ballerina Purple)
in packs and sank the packs into the ground outside. This is the third year
for trying to make them grow and the last if these don't grown. I have the
ordinary white variety reseeding all over the flower bed, but these refuse
to sprout. I'm not quite sure if it's me or the seeds, but a friend
ordinarily offers me a plant or two that she's started, so it has to be me.
Maybe this method will work.

Do I have to ask Barb to assist in your "sticky pot" addiction, Mad. She
does a good job on me. G

John

Old 17-02-2004, 05:02 PM
madgardener

"B & J" wrote in message
I received my seed order from Park last Friday and spent part of the

weekend
planting seeds from a variety of peppers, ornamental, hot hungarians, and
bell along with aqilegia (oragami mix and music harmony). One packet of
columbines had 10 seeds in it and the other 15. Ordinarily, I would plant
the seeds directly in the ground, but I figured seeds that cost .20 - .30
each deserved a little TLC.

I would agree with you there, John. But the blessings of seeds from those
plants this late spring will reward you with many more of them. That reminds
me, I should check Thompson & Morgan of some Columbine seeds.

I also planted some datura (Ballerina Purple)
in packs and sank the packs into the ground outside. This is the third

year
for trying to make them grow and the last if these don't grown. I have the
ordinary white variety reseeding all over the flower bed, but these refuse
to sprout. I'm not quite sure if it's me or the seeds, but a friend
ordinarily offers me a plant or two that she's started, so it has to be

me.
Maybe this method will work.

I would suspect you're planting the datura a little early wouldn't you?
Maybe Victoria has a hardier variety she would share with you a seedling or
two......g

Do I have to ask Barb to assist in your "sticky pot" addiction, Mad. She
does a good job on me. G

no, the bad news is out and official.........our Lowes is going to carry
those overpriced Miracle Gro varieties of perennials this year that
means if I want Stacy's perennials I will have to check out the Home Depot
down the road........I was SOOO hoping I wouldn't have this problem. And I
was looking forward to kicking butt on plant sales this year but we aren't
even going to be allowed to reduce these plants when they're past their
prime. I'll still work there, but sad to say my local purchases will be
from the orange box......

John

Old 20-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Janice

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:00:52 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"madgardener" wrote in message

yep, that sounds like spring fever all right. It could be more serious
symptoms of perennial disease or garden obsessive impulsive syndrome. I
myself am still looking for a good twelve step program for my sticky pot
disease. It applies to catalogs too...........

You deffinately have the disease Griphon. But what a wonderful disease it
is g

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English

I received my seed order from Park last Friday

When you got them, did you spread them out and look at them all, run
your fingers through them and laugh maniacally and say MINE! MINE! ALL
MINE!!! ;-D

Janice