Old 17-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Kevin

Default want to grow new tree/plants from cuttings of mature ones

hi there!

Writing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I've sold my house and will be moving out this weekend. I want to take
some branches from fruit trees (apple, cherry, pear) and red roses
that are about 25 years old.

Is it possible to grow anything from these branches and how would I go
about it transporting them/cultivating them despite this cold weather.
We're in the middle of winter right now, but this week in particular
is going to be hovering ever closer to the + side.

I was thinking of doing some cuttings and then wrapping the cut ends
with soaked paper towels and putting them in a plastic bag. Then
transfer them to a pot with soil and cultivating them indoors (of
course).
Old 17-02-2004, 05:08 PM
WiGard

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:38:10 -0800, Kevin wrote:

hi there!

Writing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I've sold my house and will be moving out this weekend. I want to take
some branches from fruit trees (apple, cherry, pear) and red roses that
are about 25 years old.

Is it possible to grow anything from these branches and how would I go
about it transporting them/cultivating them despite this cold weather.
We're in the middle of winter right now, but this week in particular is
going to be hovering ever closer to the + side.

I was thinking of doing some cuttings and then wrapping the cut ends with
soaked paper towels and putting them in a plastic bag. Then transfer them
to a pot with soil and cultivating them indoors (of course).

Fruit trees are usually grafted to rootstock.
Old 17-02-2004, 06:19 PM
chaz

"Kevin" wrote in message
om...
hi there!

Writing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I've sold my house and will be moving out this weekend. I want to take
some branches from fruit trees (apple, cherry, pear) and red roses
that are about 25 years old.

Is it possible to grow anything from these branches and how would I go
about it transporting them/cultivating them despite this cold weather.
We're in the middle of winter right now, but this week in particular
is going to be hovering ever closer to the + side.

I was thinking of doing some cuttings and then wrapping the cut ends
with soaked paper towels and putting them in a plastic bag. Then
transfer them to a pot with soil and cultivating them indoors (of
course).

I would be interested in this kind of information also, RICKY! please
respond!

Old 17-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Brian

Cuttings from the fruit trees would not grow. So much easier to replace as
container growing plants in the spring. If you purchase with the same names
then originally and indirectly they would have been from the same as your
own. Fruit trees are all grown vegetatively from the first seedling or
mutation of that type.
However the rose would probably survive and grow given the treatment
you suggest. Use 9" lengths of last year's growth. Good luck.
Best Wishes.

Old 17-02-2004, 10:12 PM
tmtresh

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/hulse.html

This is a site that was recently posted to the rec.gardens.roses newsgroup.
It explains how to grow roses from clippings.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:k...ng_en&ie=UTF-8

Try this one for information about semi-hardwood rose propagation (on page
5). It's about using cuttings from fall or winter, rather than spring or
summer (softwood propagation).

You could try doing the same thing with the fruit trees, but who knows?

Old 18-02-2004, 02:02 AM
simy1

(Kevin) wrote in message . com...

I was thinking of doing some cuttings and then wrapping the cut ends
with soaked paper towels and putting them in a plastic bag. Then
transfer them to a pot with soil and cultivating them indoors (of
course).

If you take some branches now, and do as you say (plastic wrapped with
wet paper or wet leaves or wet sand), and possibly put them in a cold
dark place, they will remain viable for grafting for several weeks.
The branches are not at their prime for cuttings or grafting, as they
are dormant. Much better if you could have done it just before winter
or just after winter.

As many have said, it is not advisable to try a cutting, even though
if you remove enough branches, you can try that avenue (you may end up
with a small tree with sick roots, but if it does not get sick, the
fruit will be true). To try a cutting, cut the stick just before
planting, dip the cut into rooting hormone, and plant in sterile
medium with two buds above soil, a moisture tent, and a temperature in
excess of 70F. You should water sparsely, as the moisture tent and
lack of vegetation will save water. I have mulberry and kiwi cuttings
in a 12 inches pot since september, by now the leaves are up and the
moisture tent is off, and I have watered them only twice.

Much better to graft. But then you have to have a tree ready to accept
the graft. Considering the varieties available today, the fact that
you could get other desirable fruits that would fill your harvest
season, such as plums, you may be better off starting with new trees.
Old 19-02-2004, 03:03 AM
JonquilJan

Kevin wrote in message
om...
hi there!

Writing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I've sold my house and will be moving out this weekend. I want to take
some branches from fruit trees (apple, cherry, pear) and red roses
that are about 25 years old.

Is it possible to grow anything from these branches and how would I go
about it transporting them/cultivating them despite this cold weather.
We're in the middle of winter right now, but this week in particular
is going to be hovering ever closer to the + side.

I was thinking of doing some cuttings and then wrapping the cut ends
with soaked paper towels and putting them in a plastic bag. Then
transfer them to a pot with soil and cultivating them indoors (of
course).

The problem with most of the apples and, I believe, all the roses is that
they are grown on grafted root stock. The natural root stock of hybrid
roses and many of todays apple varities is too weak to hold up under most
natural conditions - so buds are grafted onto more hardy stock. Growing
plants from cuttings of these items would only result in a weak plant -
because of the weak rootstock.

Cherries and pears I am not sure about the grafting possibilities.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Old 19-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Hi Kevin,
Maybe you can get the new owner to allow you to return in spring and
take some scion wood from your former trees?

Sherwin D.

Old 20-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Janice

On 17 Feb 2004 08:38:10 -0800, (Kevin) wrote:

hi there!

Writing from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I've sold my house and will be moving out this weekend. I want to take
some branches from fruit trees (apple, cherry, pear) and red roses
that are about 25 years old.

Is it possible to grow anything from these branches and how would I go
about it transporting them/cultivating them despite this cold weather.
We're in the middle of winter right now, but this week in particular
is going to be hovering ever closer to the + side.

I was thinking of doing some cuttings and then wrapping the cut ends
with soaked paper towels and putting them in a plastic bag. Then
transfer them to a pot with soil and cultivating them indoors (of
course).

Keep your cuttings cool and in a moist but not wet area.. like soak
them then wrap in wet newspapers and put them in a box and kept in a
cool, but not freezing location while you do some research.

Generally speaking, you don't start fruit trees from cuttings, at
least not from old wood.

However if your new location has some fruit trees of the proper
variety, you could try grafting buds or twigs onto the existing tree,
marking the resulting branch to know not to prune it off. If you get
them to "take" and grow" that will preserve them until you find a
proper rootstock onto which you could do bud grafting, which as others
have told you, most fruit trees are produced these days. There are
some which have grown from seeds, but that is not usual due to the
time involved. Also, some of our tree varieties resulted from a
"sport" on some tree where a branch or bud.. spontaneously "mutated"
in some way we find desirable, and as such, can only be vegetatively
reproduced..aka.. grafting.

There is The Grafter's Handbook you can look at to see how to line up
the cambium layers in your cutting, with the same layer in the host
plant, etc. There are many other books on the subject. Your local
library probably has *something* and book stores may have books you
and browse, particularly if you have a Borders or Barnes & Noble type
store where you can sit down and read the books.

You can start roses from cuttings, usually a stem that has bloomed,
that has at least 3 branches which have at least 5 leaves per branch,
snip off the blossom end so it won't try to make seed, try to include
some of the heel of the stem..where the cutting was connected to the
main stem, poke it down into a rooting medium.. I used dirt when
someone told me how it worked, and then took a mason jar, put water in
it and shook it up to wet the jar, then toss a couple handsful of dry
dirt in the jar, shake it, dump it. Some sticks to the inside of the
jar.. reducing the sun, like shade cloth would... and having put the
cutting in a bright but not overly sunny location I could just push
the jar into the dirt.. kept it watered and .. dang if it didn't root!
First and only time I tried it. There are better things to help now..
rooting hormones with fungicides in various strengths.

There are a bunch of propagation handbooks to help with starting
plants from cuttings, and they usually have charts saying which type
of cuttings and how to handle them for each type/age of cutting. I
was surprised by just how many trees *could* be started from cuttings,
but .. I didn't see too many fruit trees, but that's probably because
it's more efficient to graft them.

Good luck!!

Janice