GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cuttings in water - square stems again (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/53607-re-cuttings-water-square-stems-again.html)

Cereus-validus 25-02-2004 10:08 AM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

The "square stem" remark came out of left field from someone calling
themselves an "escapee". (How appropriate!) The remark isn't true at all.

BTW, square stems aren't limited to the mint family (Lamiaceae) and not all
the plants in that family have square stems either.

"Janice" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:50:34 -0500, "EBG"
wrote:

That's interesting....."anything with a square stem".

Dang, I must have missed a post or two as I didn't see from which
this reference to "square stems" came.

I'm guessing.. as I'd heard.. anything with a square stem is related
to the mint family?? Which must be big, because sage has a square
stem too..and coleus..of course cat MINT, and cat NIP, and monarda
..etc etc.

So did I guess close??? ;-)

Janice

I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

I love Coleus and that's something I didn't realize, that they do so well

in
partial sun. I had a couple of a deep red variety that I had in full sun
during the summer (they seemed to be ok with it), but I moved them inside
for the winter and have been taking cuttings here and there.....really

easy
to get new plants going. (I never knew).

When I had them inside, they were getting partial sun and doing really
well.....I wonder if they could even handle a
dim light inside situation? (Just through the winter?)

Does the color matter as to what varieties do better in lower light?

Mine
are a very deep burgundy red.

escapee 25-02-2004 02:41 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:47:21 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

The "square stem" remark came out of left field from someone calling
themselves an "escapee". (How appropriate!) The remark isn't true at all.

It's me, Victoria ya dope ya!

BTW, square stems aren't limited to the mint family (Lamiaceae) and not all
the plants in that family have square stems either.

I never said they did. But I'm on my way right now to fashizzle my nizzle. I'm
hurt, cut to the bone!

Babberney 25-02-2004 03:22 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:46:56 GMT, escapee
wrote:

fashizzle my nizzle.

dammit, am I going to have to learn how to understand this gibberish?
I feel so foolish trying to get hip when I so clearly am not. Up to
now it hasn't mattered.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Dwight Sipler 25-02-2004 05:02 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

escapee wrote:

...It's me, Victoria ya dope ya!...

Hey V: what are you escapeeeng from? (to? [with?])

escapee 26-02-2004 02:32 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:37:42 GMT, (Babberney)
opined:

wrote:

fashizzle my nizzle.

dammit, am I going to have to learn how to understand this gibberish?
I feel so foolish trying to get hip when I so clearly am not. Up to
now it hasn't mattered.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit
http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

When you get old, always watch young TV, like MTV or VH-1 or any of the other
idiotic stuff going on and BOOM, you're hip. However, never go Sophia Coppala
(sp?) because that would be way too HIP for the room.

"Can ya dig it, I knew thatchya could"

-John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever.

escapee 26-02-2004 02:39 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:37:15 -0500, Dwight Sipler
opined:

escapee wrote:

...It's me, Victoria ya dope ya!...

Hey V: what are you escapeeeng from? (to? [with?])

Cyber stalker. Pain in my ass that he is. I always sign with a V or v so you
will know it's me.

Babberney 29-02-2004 07:43 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:47:15 GMT, escapee
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:37:42 GMT, (Babberney)
opined:

When you get old, always watch young TV, like MTV or VH-1 or any of the other
idiotic stuff going on and BOOM, you're hip. However, never go Sophia Coppala
(sp?) because that would be way too HIP for the room.

I do that, actually, up to a point (one big sticking point is my lack
of cable TV). And I still tune out Snoop talk, just as I tune out the
"ubby-bubby" language on PBS' Zoom. Some things are too annoying to
learn, even if that dooms me to fogeydom.

escapee 01-03-2004 04:10 PM

Cuttings in water - square stems again

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 19:23:15 GMT, (Babberney)
opined:

I do that, actually, up to a point (one big sticking point is my lack
of cable TV). And I still tune out Snoop talk, just as I tune out the
"ubby-bubby" language on PBS' Zoom. Some things are too annoying to
learn, even if that dooms me to fogeydom.

Oh, well, I watch Teletubbies to relax, so no fogeydom in my future. I also
maintain a level of awareness of what is going on in the world with the
illustrious youth of the day. Quite different than us hippies from the sexual
revolution of the 60s and 70s.

All we did was get the clap, syphilis, and crabs. Now, there's the potential to
die or become sterile from chlymidia (?). Yeah, I like to know all the dope.