Old 28-02-2004, 08:32 AM
LanscpHort

Default "Evergreen" Pulmonaria not truly evergreen in warm latitudes?

This page
http://hardyplants.com/Pulmonar.htm [Apple Valley MN]
says following are evergreen, but how evergreen? Do the leaves look ugly for
a couple months (in October?)

P. rubra "Red Lungwort" [snip]Plants form scattered clumps with some what
evergreen unspotted leaves.[snip]
VAR. Albocorollata syn. Alba = has white flowers[snip]

P. saccharata "Bethlehem Sage" The most commonly grown lungwort with more or
less evergreen leaves[snip]
'Mrs. Moon' = large leaves and pink buds and flowers turning to blue.
'Janet Fisk' = has large very nicely spotted leaves and lavender pink
flowers.
'Sissinghurst White' = has white flowers[snip]

and do some Pulmonaria not require dividing?

TIA.

--
East of East Bay Hills, SF, CA. Sunset 14,15. & interest in nearby 16,17,9 &
E Mediterranean dry climes

Old 28-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

"LanscpHort" wrote in message
This page
http://hardyplants.com/Pulmonar.htm [Apple Valley MN]
says following are evergreen, but how evergreen? Do the leaves look ugly

for
a couple months (in October?)

P. rubra "Red Lungwort" [snip]Plants form scattered clumps with some what
evergreen unspotted leaves.[snip]
VAR. Albocorollata syn. Alba = has white flowers[snip]

P. saccharata "Bethlehem Sage" The most commonly grown lungwort with more

or
less evergreen leaves[snip]
'Mrs. Moon' = large leaves and pink buds and flowers turning to blue.
'Janet Fisk' = has large very nicely spotted leaves and lavender pink
flowers.
'Sissinghurst White' = has white flowers[snip]

P. saccharata is the species that is most likely considered to be evergreen
but I don't consider any pulmonarias to be truly evergreen, certainly not
like a hellebore or euphorbia. I grow P. saccharata 'Sissinghurst White'
and by November or so, the foliage looks pretty ratty and I cut it back. In
most seasons they will respond by producing a hint of new foliage, but no
active growth and no full development of new leaves until spring. How they
may perform in warmer winter situations I can't say.

btw, here it is the end of February and my Sisiinghurst White is in full
flower with leaves elongating as we speak. These are excellent early season
plants for the shady garden. Just brought in 'Benediction' at the nursery
and it is stunning - heavily covered with intense, sky-blue flowers. This is
a Great Plant Pick for you PNW gardeners.

and do some Pulmonaria not require dividing?

I've never had need to divide any of mine, but they can be divided easily.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-02-2004, 05:32 AM
LanscpHort

Ahh, this hands-on info is really good. Thanks
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message
P. saccharata is the species that is most likely considered to be

evergreen
but I don't consider any pulmonarias to be truly evergreen, certainly not
like a hellebore or euphorbia. I grow P. saccharata 'Sissinghurst White'
and by November or so, the foliage looks pretty ratty and I cut it back.

In
most seasons they will respond by producing a hint of new foliage, but no
active growth and no full development of new leaves until spring. How they
may perform in warmer winter situations I can't say.

Probably go ratty slightly earlier, depending on heat buildup/accumulation.
{1}

btw, here it is the end of February and my Sisiinghurst White is in full
flower with leaves elongating as we speak. These are excellent early

season
plants for the shady garden. Just brought in 'Benediction' at the nursery
and it is stunning - heavily covered with intense, sky-blue flowers. This

is
a Great Plant Pick for you PNW gardeners.

So maybe you can calibrate these flowering times to other flowering plants.

I'll take a guess that you're about 2 weeks from initial flowering of common
purple leaf plums?
And Benediction began almost 2 weeks ago?

and do some Pulmonaria not require dividing?

I've never had need to divide any of mine, but they can be divided easily.

pam - gardengal

{1}
[from http://pnwpest.org/wea/ddmaps_NW.html following is interesting, but
doesn't give annual sum heat]
http://pnwpest.org/wea/gis/NH_41n.png

http://ippc-old.science.oregonstate..../nwmapmaker.pl
slow. Makes nice map.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/calludt.cgi/DDDATAREPORT
gives a long table -- ugh. Too complicated.

Old 29-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

[...]

Purple leaf plums are now in bloom in most locations here. Can't say how
long 'Benediction' has been blooming......it's an Oregon import.

pam - gardengal