Old 28-02-2004, 12:02 PM
feRRets_inc

Default Electric lawn mowers: do they cut it?

G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

Old 28-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Charles

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:52:00 GMT, "feRRets_inc"
wrote:

G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

Mine works. I have a Bermuda grass lawn and sometimes I have to make
shallow cuts or the motor will stall, but the gas mower did the same.
I have never had it repaired, other than blade sharpening. I wouldn't

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 28-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Beecrofter

"feRRets_inc" wrote in message ...
G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

If you keep the blades sharp they work fine.
Old 28-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Hal

wrote:

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

I'd consider them a step down from a $200 gas mower from Lowe's. If
you don't have the strength to crank a gasoline mower they can be of
value, but it takes some getting used to. The cutting width on mine
was more narrow and although it cut most grass adequately, a patch of
heavy bahaia was a pain. The blade needs to be kept sharp, but I
didn't have to worry about oil seeping into the cylinder through the
valves when I turned it over to take off the blade for sharpening.

Regards,

Hal
Old 29-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Gary

I've used a Black & Decker electric mower for years with no problems.
As others have said, it's good to keep the blade sharpened. It works
fine in my small yard, but I think if I had a lot of mowing to do, I
would probably prefer a gas mower to get a wider swath and the
advantage of self-propel capability. My overall opinion of lawns is
low, though, since they are water hogs and require a lot of
maintenance, so you might want to take that into account. I think if
I had much area, I'd opt for a meadow and a goat!
Gary

Old 29-02-2004, 04:05 AM
LanscpHort

"feRRets_inc" wrote in message
G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of

electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

regular corded mowers are almost trouble free. lots of power. just stay
aware of that cord.

they also have really low purchase price.

Old 29-02-2004, 06:02 AM
Warren

LanscpHort wrote:

regular corded mowers are almost trouble free. lots of power. just

stay
aware of that cord.

they also have really low purchase price.

My father bought an electric lawn mower back in the early '70s. (It
might have even been the late '60s -- I can't remember for sure.) The
lot was 40x130, with a house, two car garage, driveway and 12x12
vegetable garden. That didn't leave a lot of lawn, but the front lawn
did include a hill about as steep as you'd care to try mowing. The
electric mower had a fiberglass shell, so it was significantly lighter
than a gas mower, which was a big selling point.

I do remember we had to install an outside electrical outlet, as the
house didn't have one, and the detached garage, at the back lot line,
was just a tad too far to stretch a heavy-duty extension cord from.

That mower was still humming along when they sold the house in '98, and
all the maintenance it ever needed was blade sharpening, and occasional
blast of the hose on the under-deck. (Of course it was unplugged for
both of those operations!)

When I bought my own house I considered an electric, but I didn't find
one that had the feel that it would last 30 years, and the layout of my
irregular-shaped lot, and even more irregular shaped lawn really didn't
lend itself to being able to avoid the cord.

Your mileage may vary.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

Old 01-03-2004, 04:20 PM
escapee

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:52:00 GMT, "feRRets_inc"
opined:

G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

We have a Black and Decker, very thick St, Augustine...about 2,000 square feet
of it (much less this year) and it gives one and a half mows on one charge. It
works perfectly well and is not noisy, or smelly.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Rich

escapee wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:52:00 GMT, "feRRets_inc"
opined:

G'day

I am considering purchasing a lawn mower and the new generation of electric
battery-powered mowers have caught my attention. My question is are they
worth considering? My primary concern is do these electric mowers have
sufficient power? What other issues are there to consider? Pros, Cons.

Thanks for reading
Dave

We have a Black and Decker, very thick St, Augustine...about 2,000 square feet
of it (much less this year) and it gives one and a half mows on one charge. It
works perfectly well and is not noisy, or smelly.

I'd like to join this thread as I am interested in the none-wired
electric mowers (with my ineptitude I am sure I would mow the corded
kind the first time I cut the lawn, so rechargable battery-type is the
way to go for me if I am going electric. Has anyone tried the Neutron
and been satisfied......are there any others out there that I should be
seeking?

rich haynes