Old 28-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Laurie

Default Moving from zone 4 to zone 10b

Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

I guess I have to completely re-learn gardening now!

Thanks

Laurie

Old 28-02-2004, 07:32 PM
paghat

In article .net,
"Laurie" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

I guess I have to completely re-learn gardening now!

Thanks

Laurie

Your choices of flowering vines will leap skyward.
Here's hoping you'll experience a maximally easy move.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 28-02-2004, 08:02 PM
MC

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:23:56 +0000, Laurie wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

I guess I have to completely re-learn gardening now!

Thanks

Laurie

You want to give up rhubarb, tulips, daffodils and other plants that won't
grow in z10? Rhubarb is a sure sign of spring and one pleasure I'd hate to
give up.

Check with the local extension office in the county where you will reside.
Old 28-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Laurie

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article .net,
Your choices of flowering vines will leap skyward.
Here's hoping you'll experience a maximally easy move.

-paghat the ratgirl

I know...can't wait to have bouganvilla! Does Clematis fair well down
there?

Laurie

Old 28-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Laurie

"MC" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:23:56 +0000, Laurie wrote:

You want to give up rhubarb, tulips, daffodils and other plants that won't
grow in z10? Rhubarb is a sure sign of spring and one pleasure I'd hate to
give up.

Ewww....I never cared for rhubarb. But you're right, I'll miss the spring
bulbs! That's why I'm hoping to settle my father's estate quickly, and get
out of here before the snow melts. It'll be hard to say goodbye to my
gardens.

Check with the local extension office in the county where you will reside.

Thank you. I will do that

Laurie

Old 28-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Laurie

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article .net,

Old 28-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Ricky

"Laurie" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

I guess I have to completely re-learn gardening now!

Laurie,
Having moved from NJ 6 years ago to Boca Raton, FL (just north of Ft.
Lauderdale) I made a bunch of mistakes. You will as well so be prepared for
them. First and foremost things grow here at a MUCH faster rate than up
north. It is very easy to overplant. We do have seasons here and you have to
adapt your gardening to them. There are lots of great retail nurseries for
you but the one I would start you at is Jesse Durko's just off Griffin Road,
west of Davie Blvd. Jesse grows the exotics that you won't find in most of
the other garden centers and definitely not in Home Depot.
Avoid any book by Pamela Crawford.
Plant only palms with a crownshaft - they are self-cleaning. By the way,
only Coconut palms have coconuts.
Be prepared for crappy soil. Plan on amending before you start your
garden.
Start your garden as soon as you can!

Ricky

Old 28-02-2004, 11:02 PM
MC

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:23:30 +0000, Laurie wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:23:56 +0000, Laurie wrote:

You want to give up rhubarb, tulips, daffodils and other plants that won't
grow in z10? Rhubarb is a sure sign of spring and one pleasure I'd hate to
give up.

Ewww....I never cared for rhubarb. But you're right, I'll miss the spring
bulbs! That's why I'm hoping to settle my father's estate quickly, and get
out of here before the snow melts. It'll be hard to say goodbye to my
gardens.

Check with the local extension office in the county where you will reside.

Thank you. I will do that

Laurie

Sorry you don't care for rhubarb. Maybe you just haven't had the right
piece of rhubarb pie.
Old 28-02-2004, 11:10 PM
MC

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:21:36 +0000, Laurie wrote:

I know...can't wait to have bouganvilla! Does Clematis fair well down
there?

The secret to clematis is keep the roots cool. Do this and it should be
fine.

As for spring bulbs, you could still have some fun with them: pot 'em,
refrigerate 'em and watch 'em grow.

All they need is a specified time of cold. I knew a fellow who did just
that for his kid's wedding. He had potted daffodils throughout the
basement and garage, moving them all about depending on the temperature so
they would bloom at the right time, the day the kid got married, and they
did!

Old 29-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Beecrofter

"Laurie" wrote in message hlink.net...
Hi Everyone,

I will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale Florida from Minnesota in the next few
months. I'm wondering if anyone has any good websites, books, or info
regarding gardening in my new zone.

I guess I have to completely re-learn gardening now!

Thanks

Laurie

Can I have your snow shovel?

Not too far away in West Palm is a place called The Mounts, run by
Florida master gardeners, check em out.
Old 29-02-2004, 03:02 AM
LanscpHort

"MC" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:23:30 +0000, Laurie wrote:

news

http://www.ftld.ufl.edu/Hort/Environ...s/tropical.htm

http://www.virtualherbarium.org/EPAC/endangered.html
http://www.virtualherbarium.org/EPAC/