Old 29-02-2004, 11:17 PM
JeffLaw

Default Pesky Lawn Weeds

We started having weed problems (mostly dandelion) in our lawn last
summer I & was hoping to get some tips for better control this year.
I've seen several posts from people saying manually removing weeds is
the best bet, but each time I've tried that I either don't get the
roots or leave huge pot holes in my lawn. I've tried several weed
removal tools (i.e. "as seen on tv" weed pullers) that also leave the
big holes. I will start using Scott's spring fertilizer with weed
control soon, but it didn't seem to help much last year. Has anyone
had luck with any brand of lawn friendly herbicides? Any weed removal
gardening tool suggestions? Any tips for this lawn care newbie would
be appreciated .
Old 01-03-2004, 12:32 AM
Stephen M. Henning

(JeffLaw) wrote:

We started having weed problems (mostly dandelion) in our lawn last
summer I & was hoping to get some tips for better control this year.
I've seen several posts from people saying manually removing weeds is
the best bet, but each time I've tried that I either don't get the
roots or leave huge pot holes in my lawn. I've tried several weed
removal tools (i.e. "as seen on tv" weed pullers) that also leave the
big holes. I will start using Scott's spring fertilizer with weed
control soon, but it didn't seem to help much last year. Has anyone
had luck with any brand of lawn friendly herbicides? Any weed removal
gardening tool suggestions? Any tips for this lawn care newbie would
be appreciated .

It sounds like your lawn is not very healthy. A good vigorous lawn will
crowd out weeds. It will not leave big holes when weeds are removed.
It could be a pH problem. The fertilizer will do little good if the
yard is too acid. You may need to lime before fertilizing. A good soil
test may be in order. It will tell you the pH, how to correct the pH
and what fertilizer if any you need.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 01-03-2004, 01:02 AM
MC

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:06:50 -0800, JeffLaw wrote:

We started having weed problems (mostly dandelion) in our lawn last
summer I & was hoping to get some tips for better control this year.
I've seen several posts from people saying manually removing weeds is
the best bet, but each time I've tried that I either don't get the
roots or leave huge pot holes in my lawn. I've tried several weed
removal tools (i.e. "as seen on tv" weed pullers) that also leave the
big holes. I will start using Scott's spring fertilizer with weed
control soon, but it didn't seem to help much last year. Has anyone
had luck with any brand of lawn friendly herbicides? Any weed removal
gardening tool suggestions? Any tips for this lawn care newbie would
be appreciated .

Mechanical weed removal works fine. I have used a combination of that and
Weed-B-Gon. This method works great on dandelions, creeping charlie and
other broadleaf pests. I usually make 2-3 applications over the entire
lawn at 2-3 week intervals. Eradicating creeping charlie works best if
you can hit the plant when it is blooming, a period in its life when all
the plant's energy goes into bloom production thereby weakening it a bit.

There's nothing wrong with chemicals as long as one uses common sense and
can read/follow instructions to the letter.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

"MC" wrote in message
news
[...]

At the risk of starting a huge flame war (and hasn't it been quiet in that
regard lately?), not all chemical weed controls are exactly benign. I would
encourage the OP to consider something other than a combo weed'n feed type
product. This is probably the most inefficient and problematic use of
chemical herbicides. Run off with this type of material is flagrant - there
is more pollution of streams and ground water from residential use of weed
and feed products than from any other form of pesticide. Much better to use
manual control whenever possible or spot treat persistant perennial type
weeds rather than a broadcast granular product.

http://www.huronview.on.ca/gardening_04.html

pam - gardengal

Old 01-03-2004, 04:48 PM
MC

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 13:00:03 +0000, Pam - gardengal wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
news
[...]

I always felt that runoff is problematic with regard to lawn treatment.
After hearing several lectures by turfgrass experts from the university's
turfgrass facility, I am now of a different opinion. Fertilizers and
chemicals do not wash off lawns and into streams and lakes. They go into
the soil which acts as a giant filter. Chemicals in use now have a short
life of just a few weeks. The only way to get chemicals to our waterways
is to physcially dump them in storm sewers.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:58 PM
Eileen Dover

"MC" wrote in message
news
I always felt that runoff is problematic with regard to lawn treatment.
After hearing several lectures by turfgrass experts from the university's
turfgrass facility, I am now of a different opinion. Fertilizers and
chemicals do not wash off lawns and into streams and lakes. They go into
the soil which acts as a giant filter. Chemicals in use now have a short
life of just a few weeks. The only way to get chemicals to our waterways
is to physcially dump them in storm sewers.

Do you realize that what you have written in NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT??!!
You will be flamed, flayed, flocculated and driven from this newsgroup!

Old 01-03-2004, 05:04 PM
MC

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 09:03:40 -0500, Eileen Dover wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
news
I always felt that runoff is problematic with regard to lawn treatment.
After hearing several lectures by turfgrass experts from the university's
turfgrass facility, I am now of a different opinion. Fertilizers and
chemicals do not wash off lawns and into streams and lakes. They go into
the soil which acts as a giant filter. Chemicals in use now have a short
life of just a few weeks. The only way to get chemicals to our waterways
is to physcially dump them in storm sewers.

Do you realize that what you have written in NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT??!!
You will be flamed, flayed, flocculated and driven from this newsgroup!

I'm doomed. There are black Suburbans with tinted windows in front of my
house as I write. The ornamental grasses are providing cover for the
oncoming assault. There's something moving near the compost heap. It's
more than bushes swaying in the wind, it's camo troops. I can hear a
distant rumble, not thunder but tanks and heavy artillery.

This will be my last missive for the garden police are about to storm the
premises.

I can't find my can of Raid. Send donuts. Maybe I can bait my traps and
catch them all.

Old 01-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Phisherman

Dandelion is very easy to eradicate. It is a broadleaf plant. Not
seeing your lawn makes it difficult to recommend a specific procedure.
If there are less than 200 plants, use a spot treatment by mixing up
Weed-B-Gone or Spectricide in a pressurized garden sprayer. I prefer
the "water-proof" products where it does not matter if it rains after
6 hours. Apply the treatment on a sunny dry day.

[IMG] code is On

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Dave C Bonsai 2 20-05-2005 03:20 PM
[IBC] Question about pesky insects and a beginner to Bonsai Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 20-05-2005 11:10 AM
Lawn weed.Pesky!! Peter H Lawns 6 22-07-2003 06:33 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM