Old 02-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Shelley

Default Growing hops?

Hi there -

My husband is a home brewer and is interested in brewing with his own hops.
I've done quite a bit of research on them and know that I need to space the
different kinds out between 5 and 10 feet, that they grow 10 to 20 feet
tall, and need good draining soil in full sun.

Here's my question... I am going to be planting our 2 or 3 kinds of hops in
one part of my back yard, but want the other part of my back yard to still
be grass 10 years from now. I've heard that these things spread. Does
anyone know if I can plant the hops in large pots and use them like that to
make sure they don't spread too far? If it matters, I'm in Cedar Rapids,
Iowa which is right on the line of zones 4 and 5.

Shelley

Old 02-03-2004, 03:02 AM
MC

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 00:48:49 +0000, Shelley wrote:

Hi there -

My husband is a home brewer and is interested in brewing with his own hops.
I've done quite a bit of research on them and know that I need to space the
different kinds out between 5 and 10 feet, that they grow 10 to 20 feet
tall, and need good draining soil in full sun.

Here's my question... I am going to be planting our 2 or 3 kinds of hops in
one part of my back yard, but want the other part of my back yard to still
be grass 10 years from now. I've heard that these things spread. Does
anyone know if I can plant the hops in large pots and use them like that to
make sure they don't spread too far? If it matters, I'm in Cedar Rapids,
Iowa which is right on the line of zones 4 and 5.

Shelley

They should do just fine in containers. I planted roots last year and I
had 4-6 foot vines by fall. It usually takes a year or two before the
plants become vigorous growers.

If you have a sunny spot, put the plants in the ground and build a sturdy
trellis to support them. They will happiest in garden soil.

If youo plan your spot carefully, you could use the hops vines as a screen
of sorts.

Check with your local county extensionn office for more details for your
area.

[IMG] code is On

Are you growing herbs, grains, or hops for brewing beer? Bill Velek Gardening 0 19-07-2007 05:46 PM
Are you growing herbs, grains, or hops for brewing beer? Bill Velek Australia 0 19-07-2007 05:46 PM
Are you growing herbs, grains, or hops for brewing beer? Bill Velek United Kingdom 0 19-07-2007 05:46 PM
Hops compost Mark Edible Gardening 3 03-02-2004 03:55 PM
Advice on hops JimM United Kingdom 8 22-04-2003 12:44 PM