GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Viney questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/54302-viney-questions.html)

[email protected] 02-03-2004 06:36 PM

Viney questions

Regarding wild vines: I live in the Central Florida area and there is
a wild vine which has overtaken the vacant lot next to mine. It's
blooming on the top of the trees and looks like yellow Carolina
Jasmine -- but there is no fragrance. Any idea what it might be? The
vines have grown 30 feet in length to cross the wooded floor of the
lot and reach the canopy of a tall tree. It's pretty breath-taking.

And yet another question: I'm trying to find a vine that I can
control and put in a flower box with trellis, but there's nothing
small enough that I can find in the stores. Any suggestions?

MLEBLANCA 02-03-2004 06:37 PM

Viney questions

see my replies under " Honeysuckle wont bloom"
mle

MC 02-03-2004 06:42 PM

Viney questions

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:25:58 +0000, sincara wrote:

And yet another question: I'm trying to find a vine that I can
control and put in a flower box with trellis, but there's nothing
small enough that I can find in the stores. Any suggestions?

Hyacinth bean is vigorous but pretty. Cypress vine. Ipomoea. Ivies work.

Let the vines grow and prune back to contain.

Ricky 02-03-2004 08:12 PM

Viney questions

wrote in message

Regarding wild vines: I live in the Central Florida area and there is
a wild vine which has overtaken the vacant lot next to mine. It's
blooming on the top of the trees and looks like yellow Carolina
Jasmine -- but there is no fragrance. Any idea what it might be? The
vines have grown 30 feet in length to cross the wooded floor of the
lot and reach the canopy of a tall tree. It's pretty breath-taking.

And yet another question: I'm trying to find a vine that I can
control and put in a flower box with trellis, but there's nothing
small enough that I can find in the stores. Any suggestions?

Mandevilla, Allamanda, both work well.

Janice 03-03-2004 09:51 AM

Viney questions

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:25:58 GMT, wrote:

Regarding wild vines: I live in the Central Florida area and there is
a wild vine which has overtaken the vacant lot next to mine. It's
blooming on the top of the trees and looks like yellow Carolina
Jasmine -- but there is no fragrance. Any idea what it might be? The
vines have grown 30 feet in length to cross the wooded floor of the
lot and reach the canopy of a tall tree. It's pretty breath-taking.

And yet another question: I'm trying to find a vine that I can
control and put in a flower box with trellis, but there's nothing
small enough that I can find in the stores. Any suggestions?

thunbergia .. black eyed susan vine (there's a light ..maybe white..
version of the vine too)