GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New formulation for pressure treated lumber (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/54601-new-formulation-pressure-treated-lumber.html)

Beecrofter 06-03-2004 12:27 AM

New formulation for pressure treated lumber

Anybody got any information on the new formulation of pressure treated
wood that is made without arsenic?

[email protected] 06-03-2004 04:25 AM

(Beecrofter) wrote in message . com...
Anybody got any information on the new formulation of pressure treated
wood that is made without arsenic?

It is my understanding that it is treated or soaked with copper salts.
Works well to protect the wood, however you can't use regular
galvanized screws or fasteners, ie joist hangers, joiners, hurrican
clips, because the copper causes severe electrolysis and corrosion
problems with the hardware, I have been warned that the hardware will
fail in a short period of time.

You will need to get more information from your supplier or contractor
for the construction. Carefully note any hardware requirements on the
new treated wood to avoid the above problem.

madgardener 06-03-2004 05:32 AM

On 5 Mar 2004 10:35:50 -0800, (Beecrofter) wrote:

Anybody got any information on the new formulation of pressure treated
wood that is made without arsenic?

something else, at Lowes they're advised that they now have to
"rotate" the lumber, as the new lumber lasts about 4 months. 4
months?? Well apparently the process also has a mold inhibitor and
you have to rinse the wood off if it wears off. I asked during the
film if this meant the wood "wore out quicker" and was told no, and
the new coating was more golden and aged better, it just had to do
with the mold inhibitor. Much safer for raised beds with food plants
and children on play equipment.
madgardener

Hal 06-03-2004 02:44 PM

On 5 Mar 2004 19:25:08 -0800, wrote:

(Beecrofter) wrote in message . com...
Anybody got any information on the new formulation of pressure treated
wood that is made without arsenic?

It is my understanding that it is treated or soaked with copper salts.
Works well to protect the wood, however you can't use regular
galvanized screws or fasteners, ie joist hangers, joiners, hurrican
clips, because the copper causes severe electrolysis and corrosion
problems with the hardware, I have been warned that the hardware will
fail in a short period of time.

You will need to get more information from your supplier or contractor
for the construction. Carefully note any hardware requirements on the
new treated wood to avoid the above problem.

About hardwa
http://www.naturalselect.com/fasteners.htm

Regards,

Hal

Hal 06-03-2004 03:07 PM

New formulation for pressure treated lumber

On 5 Mar 2004 10:35:50 -0800, (Beecrofter) wrote:

Anybody got any information on the new formulation of pressure treated
wood that is made without arsenic?

If you believe the fox in the henhouse:
http://www.naturalselect.com/overview.htm

Regards,

Hal

KCnRichmond 10-03-2004 04:36 PM

New formulation for pressure treated lumber

something else, at Lowes they're advised that they now have to
"rotate" the lumber, as the new lumber lasts about 4 months. 4
months??

Home Depot and Lowes have to replace the racking and hardware holding the
racking the lumber is in also...Too funny.....
Mulch manufacturers now have to label how much cca is in their product since
most use demolition lumber in their process for "fill" wood. Ever seen a
piece of a pallet or end of a 2x4 in a cheap bag of mulch? Only one to pass
the cca testing is Scotts Naturescapes mulches. Not a good feeling when you
consider how many people use mulch in their kids playgrounds...FDA and EPA
are soon going to require bags are labeled with cca, bark, and wood filler
is in their mulches...........