Old 10-03-2004, 03:32 AM
Ted S.

Default How far can I cut back Needlepoint Holly?

Hi. I have what I think are a row of needlepoint hollies which I have
been trying to keep to a max height of about 3 feet. I prune them every
spring after the new growth has added about 2 inches to them.

The problem is that they have become quite woody (few leaves past the
surface) and I'm afraid if I prune them too much, there will be few leaves
and they will look worse and worse. They don't seem like the kind that
you can cut way back and they will put out new growth. Is that right?

Yes, I know I probably shouldn't use them if I wanted to keep something
small and that I probably pruned at the wrong time each year. (What is
the right time?)

If it's too late for them, I'll pull them and start over with something
else. I was thinking of euonymus since they grow well (South Jersey zone
6), are evergreen, bushy and seem to take well to pruning.

Comments would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Ted