GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   RESEARCH WHEELBARROW! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55131-research-wheelbarrow.html)

s.cieraad 11-03-2004 08:32 AM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

I hope this is posted to the right group, it was the closest thing I
could find that was related...

I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a
new wheelbarrow to graduate so I would like to hear about anyone's
experiences, hints, remarks, hints, good or bad things about
wheelbarrows. Please help me and e-mailing it to me, I would be
extremely grateful

All information supplied will be kept confidential.

Thanks in advance.
S. Cieraad

e-mail:

grum 12-03-2004 11:34 PM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

"s.cieraad" wrote in message
m...

I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a
new wheelbarrow to graduate so I would like to hear about anyone's
experiences, hints, remarks, hints, good or bad things about
wheelbarrows.

i'd like a wheelbarrow whose wheel never goes flat !!
(a problem i seem to have with a very old wheel barrow i have!)

graham

Salty Thumb 13-03-2004 12:32 AM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

"grum" wrote in news:c2tcq1$mi8$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

"s.cieraad" wrote in message
m...

I am a Dutch student studying Industrial Design & Engineering at
Fontys University, The Netherlands, and am doing some research into
the usage of wheelbarrows or their substitutes. I have to develop a
new wheelbarrow to graduate so I would like to hear about anyone's
experiences, hints, remarks, hints, good or bad things about
wheelbarrows.

i'd like a wheelbarrow whose wheel never goes flat !!
(a problem i seem to have with a very old wheel barrow i have!)

graham

In case you're not kidding, why don't you just stick a new wheel on it?

Jim Elbrecht 13-03-2004 02:32 AM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:15:29 +0000 (UTC), "grum"
wrote:
-snip-
i'd like a wheelbarrow whose wheel never goes flat !!
(a problem i seem to have with a very old wheel barrow i have!)

I have 2 of those. One is an old, iron wheeled thing and the other is
a pneumatic that I filled with that green goop & it seems to work.

Jim

Romy Beeck 13-03-2004 05:07 AM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

I BOUGHT ONE OF THEM TWO WHEEL JOBS..IT WORKS GREAT..HAULED ROCKS LAST YEAR
FOR MY LANDSCAPING. I DON'T THINK I WILL USE MY WHEEL BARROW AGAIN

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:15:29 +0000 (UTC), "grum"
-snip-

Babberney 14-03-2004 11:23 PM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:59:47 -0600, "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

I BOUGHT ONE OF THEM TWO WHEEL JOBS..IT WORKS GREAT..HAULED ROCKS LAST YEAR
FOR MY LANDSCAPING. I DON'T THINK I WILL USE MY WHEEL BARROW AGAIN

The obvious benefit to this type is stability, but the drawback is
loss of maneuverability. Plus, with one wheel you can push it across
a plank over mud or whatever (sure, go for the obvious and use two
planks. see how well they stay in the proper place to catch both
tires).

I just bought a contractor-grade standard barrow with pneumatic tire.
It's a little heavier than I'd like when loading time comes, but I
know from experience the cheaper ones flex and creak alarmingly when a
real load is on them. And the tire is thicker, looks to be higher
quality, than most of the ones I saw while shopping. But I'm used to
pulling out the air compressor when I need to use my old barrow, so it
isn't a big factor for me if my new one starts going flat--just so it
holds air while I'm using it.

I also saw wheels with solid rubber tires that "work just like
pneumatic tires." YMMV. Sorry, I don't remember where they were, or
whether they came without wheelbarrows attached, but surely they're
out there somewhere.

keith
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/

Janice 15-03-2004 04:08 PM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

wrote:

[...]

Not to point out the obvious, but .. you could have just had the flat
fixed. Wheel Barrow tires can get a puncture or have a slow or fast
leak, loose valve stems.. any and every ailment that a vehicle tire
can have. Any tire that has to be aired up.. can go flat for all the
usual reasons. :-)

Janice

escapee 19-03-2004 07:32 AM

RESEARCH WHEELBARROW!

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:21:53 GMT, Salty Thumb
opined:

In case you're not kidding, why don't you just stick a new wheel on it?

A few years ago we bought a hundred dollar, 10 cubic foot, double wheel
wheelbarrow. The wheels are always flat. It's so annoying. So, I was at the
Depot yesterday buying liner for our new pond and saw a four wheel garden cart
for 70 dollars and though it has pneumatic tires, I believe since there are
four, it will likely not go flat as often.

With this wheelbarrow, I have a hard time handling it, it is very huge to get
through gates, etc and the cart has sides and a removable bottom and can carry 8
cubic feet.

So, I'm buying that one and putting a for sale sign on the other one I have. I
think 30 dollars is fair. It's like new.