GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Really dumb compost question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55317-really-dumb-compost-question.html)

Don W 13-03-2004 03:03 AM

Really dumb compost question

I have had a bag of compost sitting outside here in our wet northwest
winters. I really sort on new to this whole gardening thing...So i am
askingis.....Is this compost that has been sitting outside for 6 months
or so in the rain as good still as a bag of compost that has'nt been
rinsed out by six months of rain. It is in a plastic bag , but im sure
it probably still got pretty wet.

Thanks
Don

A mukluk wearing troll 13-03-2004 01:35 PM

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 18:42:48 -0800, Don W wrote:

I have had a bag of compost sitting outside here in our wet northwest
winters. I really sort on new to this whole gardening thing...So i am
askingis.....Is this compost that has been sitting outside for 6 months
or so in the rain as good still as a bag of compost that has'nt been
rinsed out by six months of rain. It is in a plastic bag , but im sure
it probably still got pretty wet.

It's just _fine_. Use it.
If it has got wet, you will have "manure tea" in the bottom of the
bag, lovely for things like roses. :)

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario

Snooze 13-03-2004 08:24 PM

"Don W" wrote in message
I have had a bag of compost sitting outside here in our wet northwest
winters. I really sort on new to this whole gardening thing...So i am
askingis.....Is this compost that has been sitting outside for 6 months
or so in the rain as good still as a bag of compost that has'nt been
rinsed out by six months of rain. It is in a plastic bag , but im sure
it probably still got pretty wet.

Thanks
Don

There won't be anything wrong with the compost as far as the plants are
concerned. It might have a rotten smell to it, making it unpleasant to work
with. If it smells really bad, and you can't tolerate the smell, just spread
it out on the drive way on a sunny day, let it dry out and air out.

Sameer