GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Poinsettia vs. Daffodil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55485-poinsettia-vs-daffodil.html)

TOM KAN PA 14-03-2004 05:02 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

How come every winter there are posts warning and inquiring of the poisonous
poinsettia but in the spring there is no concern about the daffodills.
The poinsettia's poison is greatly exagerated. Even though the daffodil is
toxic in all parts, from bulbs to stems to golden trumpets, it is never
mentioned.

Jim Shaffer, Jr. 14-03-2004 10:04 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

On 14 Mar 2004 16:50:19 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

How come every winter there are posts warning and inquiring of the poisonous
poinsettia but in the spring there is no concern about the daffodills.
The poinsettia's poison is greatly exagerated. Even though the daffodil is
toxic in all parts, from bulbs to stems to golden trumpets, it is never
mentioned.

That's a good question. I can't imagine what would inspire anyone to eat a
poinsettia. I find the smell of the sap disgusting.

David Ross 14-03-2004 11:19 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

TOM KAN PA wrote:

How come every winter there are posts warning and inquiring of the poisonous
poinsettia but in the spring there is no concern about the daffodills.
The poinsettia's poison is greatly exagerated. Even though the daffodil is
toxic in all parts, from bulbs to stems to golden trumpets, it is never
mentioned.

It's the same as for oleander vs peaches. The leaves of both are
equally poisonous. The almond like kernel in the center of a
peach pit is deadly. Yet I see frequent warnings in this
newsgroup against planting oleander with never a mention of
keeping children away from peach trees.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Charles 14-03-2004 11:19 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:31:04 -0800, David Ross
wrote:

TOM KAN PA wrote:

How come every winter there are posts warning and inquiring of the poisonous
poinsettia but in the spring there is no concern about the daffodills.
The poinsettia's poison is greatly exagerated. Even though the daffodil is
toxic in all parts, from bulbs to stems to golden trumpets, it is never
mentioned.

It's the same as for oleander vs peaches. The leaves of both are
equally poisonous. The almond like kernel in the center of a
peach pit is deadly. Yet I see frequent warnings in this
newsgroup against planting oleander with never a mention of
keeping children away from peach trees.

Do you have a reference for the peach leaf thing? The book I usually
refer to, "Poisonous Plants of California," makes no mention of
leaves. It does generalize about plants of the rose family, saying
the toxic part is the seed or kernel.

--

- Charles
-

Cereus-validus 14-03-2004 11:23 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

Because most of the garden press are a bunch of sensationalist assholes
looking in vain for something exciting to write about and winter is
typically the slow news season for them.

Elizabeth 15-03-2004 07:12 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

wrote:

TOM KAN PA wrote:

[...]

"Plants that Poison" by Ervin M. Schmutz, Ph.D. and Lucretia
Breazeale Hamilton mentions both the leaves and the seeds of the
peach tree have high concentrations of cyanide.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

quest 15-03-2004 09:02 PM

Poinsettia vs. Daffodil

When a child, we heard of 2 little girls that had boiled peach leaves while
playing house, and both died of the fumes. Maybe an urban legend of the
times. Coleus leaves are also poison, and just lovely. The answer? Don't eat
it if it isn't sold in the grocery section, else Darwin wins.