GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help Identify Climbing Vine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55524-help-identify-climbing-vine.html)

Patrick Gillette 14-03-2004 11:23 PM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

I live in Massachusetts and I have a few trees in my front yard who appear
to be held hostage by some kind of climbing vine.

http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/House.jpg

The leaves on the vine look very similiar to this pic of a creek dogwood
leaf;

http://ghs.gresham.k12.or.us/science...pin/creek6.jpg

The vine looks very similiar to this Poison Ivy vine;

http://www.cattail.nu/ivy/ivy_berry.jpg

There are also some clusters of dried berries within the leaves. Any help is
appreciated. Thanks.

Patrick Gillette 14-03-2004 11:42 PM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

"Jacqueline" wrote in message
What color are the berries?

They're dead so thy're brown. I haven't seen them bloom as I haven't been at
this house very long. I'll post some pics in the sunlight tomorrow.

Judy 15-03-2004 12:02 AM

Patrick Gillette wrote:

What color are the berries?

They're dead so thy're brown. I haven't seen them bloom as I haven't been at
this house very long. I'll post some pics in the sunlight tomorrow.

If they are brown then they must be dingleberries. You have a
dingleberry vine!

Cereus-validus 15-03-2004 10:10 AM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

Poor Judy.

It must have been a long time since she's had some dingleberry pie!!!

Cereus-validus 15-03-2004 10:28 AM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

First impression was that it might be Bittersweet but it can't look like a
dogwood and poison ivy at the same time.

One would think you would have noticed the yellow fruit and bright red
fleshy seeds too.

A closeup picture of the vine itself would be more useful.

Patrick Gillette 15-03-2004 11:13 PM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

Here's some pics I took today of the vine. It seems I might have 2 seperate
vine breeds on the tree.

http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00621.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00622.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00623.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00624.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00625.JPG

David Hill 15-03-2004 11:23 PM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

Just plain old Ivy.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

David Hill 15-03-2004 11:28 PM

Patrick Gillette 15-03-2004 11:31 PM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

Ok so most of it seems to be Hedera helix. But what about the other vine, it
has different leaves and berries.

http://home.comcast.net/~patrick.gillette/DSC00624.JPG

Do I ahev to worry about the vines killing the trees? Thanks.

Patrick Gillette 15-03-2004 11:31 PM

Help Identify Climbing Vine

Answered my own question. :) the 2 different leaves are 2 different life
stages of the ivy. As far as it killing the tree, it may or it may not.
Article he

http://www.detnews.com/2004/garden/0.../e08-75766.htm

Thanks everybody for your help.