Old 17-03-2004, 02:32 AM
zhanataya

Default Locusts

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:41:25 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

Ha Ha! But aren't they dangerous? S

No, but if you can convince yourself they sound good you won't go
crazy quite as fast. ;-)

Old 18-03-2004, 07:07 AM
Play4aBuck

Plague of Locusts Swarms Outback Towns

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_re_au_an/au
stralia_locust_plague_1

Cheers,
Jim

Old 18-03-2004, 07:13 AM
Play4aBuck

Old 18-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Meagan M Eller

I found the following info at an Ohio DNR site from a few years back:

To help reduce cicada damage, Balser recommends to homeowners that they
not prune trees this spring. Instead, damaged twigs may be pruned out
later this summer, after the cicada invasion has run its course. In
affected areas of the state, most tree damage can be avoided by delaying
new plantings of woody ornamentals and trees until fall or the following
spring. Small shade and ornamental trees can be protected by a covering of
cheesecloth or finely woven netting, according to Balser. "This physically
prevents females from laying eggs in the twigs. Trees too large to cover
may be sprayed with a contact insecticide," he said. "Chemical control is
difficult during the peak of the cicada's egg-laying season, because of
the large number of cicadas present and relatively slow action of the
pesticide." Spraying trees in flower can also harm honeybees, he warned.

For more information regarding insecticide recommendations, homeowners
should contact their local extension agent or entomologist, being certain
to follow all insecticide label directions carefully.

Hope this helps.

Meagan

James wrote:
Someone here said they were expecting locusts (cicada) this year in my area.
Don't know if they are the 17 year kind or 11 year kind or something else.
Last time around they did plenty of damage. We have tent caterpillars almost
every year but have learned to cope with them but with cicadas I don't know
if there are any preventative measures to take. These things come in late
may and june as I remember. Anyone with info chime in.