Old 15-03-2004, 11:34 PM
James

Default Locusts

Someone here said they were expecting locusts (cicada) this year in my area.
Don't know if they are the 17 year kind or 11 year kind or something else.
Last time around they did plenty of damage. We have tent caterpillars almost
every year but have learned to cope with them but with cicadas I don't know
if there are any preventative measures to take. These things come in late
may and june as I remember. Anyone with info chime in.

Old 15-03-2004, 11:34 PM
madgardener

you'll be fine. these aren't like the decimating locust that eat everything
in their paths. you'll just notice them when they do their noise
thing...........it comes in very loud waves of sound. and you'll find empty
shells of their bodies in odd places where they've crawled up and split

Old 16-03-2004, 04:27 AM
zhanataya

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:48:00 -0500, "James" wrote:

Someone here said they were expecting locusts (cicada) this year in my area.
Don't know if they are the 17 year kind or 11 year kind or something else.
Last time around they did plenty of damage. We have tent caterpillars almost
every year but have learned to cope with them but with cicadas I don't know
if there are any preventative measures to take. These things come in late
may and june as I remember. Anyone with info chime in.

Cicadas ar one of the gardening pleasures and sounds you should learn
to appreciate as part of a live and healthy garden.

zhan

Old 16-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Sandy

Ha Ha! But aren't they dangerous? S

Old 16-03-2004, 12:59 PM
J. Del Col

"Sandy" wrote in message ...
Ha Ha! But aren't they dangerous? S

Not to people. Cicadas neither sting nor bite. The only damage they
do results when the females pierce twigs on trees with their long,
sharp ovipositors. The damage is serious only for very small trees.

Their loud, shrill chorus can be very annoying, but it happens only
once every 13 or 17 years, depending on the species.

J. Del Col
Old 16-03-2004, 04:44 PM
James

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
m...
"Sandy" wrote in message

Ha Ha! But aren't they dangerous? S

Not to people. Cicadas neither sting nor bite. The only damage they
do results when the females pierce twigs on trees with their long,
sharp ovipositors. The damage is serious only for very small trees.

That's the problem. It doesn't hurt large trees but they don't have to very
small to have damage. I lost 3 peach trees last time out. They were not
small but they were not large either. I have small apple trees out now that
I'm afraid will bite the dust as well as a few ornamentals. The larger trees
end up with unsightly scars but they eventually go away. We''re talking a
lot of cicadas.

Old 17-03-2004, 01:31 AM
David Hare-Scott

"James" wrote in message
Someone here said they were expecting locusts (cicada) this year in my

area.
Don't know if they are the 17 year kind or 11 year kind or something else.
Last time around they did plenty of damage. We have tent caterpillars

almost
every year but have learned to cope with them but with cicadas I don't

know
if there are any preventative measures to take. These things come in late
may and june as I remember. Anyone with info chime in.

Cicadas are harmless, they are nothing at all like the plague locust..

David

Old 17-03-2004, 01:56 AM
zhanataya

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:41:25 -0500, "Sandy" wrote:

Ha Ha! But aren't they dangerous? S

No, but if you can convince yourself they sound good you won't go
crazy quite as fast. ;-)