GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   a truly baffling question about strawberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55749-truly-baffling-question-about-strawberries.html)

Loki 17-03-2004 10:32 PM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

il 17 Mar 2004 10:58:20 -0800, (sassy326) ha
scritto:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

.com...

ok even though this conversation has drifted away from its present
topic i would like to ask a question about growing strawberries. I
want to grow them on the south side of my house along with blueberry
bushes, and rasberry bushes but have been told that they will never
grow on the south side. Is this so?

What hemisphere do you live in? South is the cold side in the
Southern hemisphere.

Cheers,

Loki 17-03-2004 10:36 PM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

I'm more amazed it's from the rose family. And just as long as they
taste wonderful, who cares?
--
Cheers,

Cereus-validus 17-03-2004 11:48 PM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

You bet you momma's bedundadunk, Calvin.

Youz gots to watch out who's sniffing out that junk in the trunk!

Youz should be worrying more about whos after them cherries than who put
seeds on your strawberries.

"The Watcher" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:08:01 +0000, Kay Easton

wrote:

(snip)
Plants are a lot less fussy than the human male about where they deposit
their sperm.

A lot less fussy than SOME human males. ;)

Janice 18-03-2004 04:07 AM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

On 17 Mar 2004 10:58:20 -0800, (sassy326)
wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message .com...

ok even though this conversation has drifted away from its present
topic i would like to ask a question about growing strawberries. I
want to grow them on the south side of my house along with blueberry
bushes, and rasberry bushes but have been told that they will never
grow on the south side. Is this so?

Mine are in barrels on the south side of the house, and I think one of
them was getting a little less sun than the others and so was not
producing as well.. either that or they weren't really ever bearing as
marked. But I'd think that the south side was the best side of
anything as they need sunshine. Lots of it. Of course, then they
need water. At least in my world.

janice

---------------------------------------
come check out Serenity and Good Faith! Offers stressed out
individuals a place to relax and call home. Includes resources on how
to relax and great herbal remedies. come join the community! Free to
everyone!
http://www.freewebs.com/guildofgoodf...xserenity.html

Kay Easton 18-03-2004 04:08 AM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

In article , Loki
writes

I'm more amazed it's from the rose family. And just as long as they
taste wonderful, who cares?

Why? The compare a strawberry flower to a dog rose flower - there's lots
of similarities.

It's not half as surprising as a cyclamen belonging to the primrose
family!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Salty Thumb 18-03-2004 04:13 AM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

(The Watcher) wrote in
:

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:26:11 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

You no fool me Steverino,

You're making that up.

You claim that Europeans were eating strawberries before they were
introduced from the New World.

Next you will be saying that Romans wore wrist watches with Roman
numerals on them!!

Of course. They also had little sundial faces with a tiny gnomon
sticking out from them. ;)

Beware of Garden Gnomona bearing sundials?

Salty Thumb 18-03-2004 04:13 AM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 03:15:08 GMT

"David Hill" wrote in
:

"............The Anglo-Saxons were calling them strawberries 500 years
before Columbus. They're recorded at least as far back as Roman times
........"

Strawberries were cultivated by the Romans as early as 200 BC and in
mediaeval times strawberries were regarded as an aphrodisiac and a
soup made of strawberries, borage and soured cream was traditionally
served to newly-weds at their wedding breakfast.

Be that as it may, the Latin word for strawberry isn't strawberrinus, it's
the infinitly more sexy 'fragum'. If I recall correctly, there is some
reference to 'strawberry' in the Canterbury Tales, although I don't
remember if the original used some Old English variant of 'strawberry' or a
French cognate of 'fragum'. That also doesn't mean that Noah (Webster)
didn't sail across the ocean bringing two of every word, and stuck 'straw'
and 'berry' together as per the current spelling after seing the natives'
horticultural practices, with 'straw' having been previously derived from
'strewn about' just a happy coincidence.

It's also not to say that a 'fragum' did or didn't denote specificly the
fruits of genus 'fragaria' or was used genericly or poeticly for some
strawberry-like fruit/plant.

(rec.gardens)

Salty Thumb 18-03-2004 04:13 AM

a truly baffling question about strawberries

Kay Easton wrote in news:W3RE9VDhXrVAFwD4
@scarboro.demon.co.uk:

The plant equivalent of sperm is pollen - and that of course *is* on the
outside ;-)
Plants are a lot less fussy than the human male about where they deposit
their sperm.

You are far more likely to find a human female that is fussy about where a
human male deposits his sperm. 8^@