Old 17-03-2004, 12:39 AM
zxcvbob

Default THANKS - AND THANKS FOR NOTHING

Helen J. Foss wrote:

For several years now I have posted 'FREE SEEDS - POSTAGE PAID' on
rec/gardens and received multi requests for tomato seeds.
I filled the requests for what folks asked for. Took the time to
label the individual little 'baggies', insert the seeds, secured them
between cardboard sheets and mailed them off at my own expense. I didn't,
and don't have a problem with this.
I put together over 300 packets last fall alone and enjoyed doing
it. The ONLY thing I asked in return was that the recipients of my labors,
notify me when they received the seeds....I don't think that was too much
to ask for.
A few offered me some different seeds, which I though was a nice
gesture on their part, and I accepted the offer. To this day I have not
received any seeds, but that doesn't really bother me as much as the fact
that a few of the ones I sent seeds to, didn't have the common courtesy to
sit at the keyboard for one minute, and tell me they received the
seeds....how long does it take to say 'I got them'?
I have sent seeds to many States, Alaska (I know it's a State),
Australia, United Kingdom and Wales and received reports that the seeds
have done well in their area.
Now suddenly I'm receiving further requests for seeds, and have
already maialed out over 150 packets, for which I have received replies of
their arrival.
To the folks that sent me messages telling me of their arrival, I
say a BIG THANK you, and hope I'll be able to send you some new and
different seeds next fall.
To the folks that were too busy to spend a minute on the
keyboard, I say THANKS FOR NOTHING, and there will be no further shipments
from this source.
To those who want to flame me, just want to say that I had to vent
my disappointment in certain people that have no time to show a little
common courtesy to a fellow gardener.
Hope you all have a great growing season and abundant crops.

If I recall correctly, you posted the "real life" names and addresses of
a bunch of the people you sent seeds too. (It's been a while so I could
be mistaken, but I do remember being shocked by something like that)

After being "outted" like that, some folks may have not wanted anything
more to do with you or your seeds.

I sent some dried peppers a few years ago to someone in Canada and they
were never delivered. Customs agents probably confiscated them and
didn't bother to send a postcard stating such. We had exchanged seeds
previously without any problems. So maybe people never sent you a
"thank-you" because they never received the seeds.

Just a few observations,
Bob

Old 17-03-2004, 01:37 AM
paghat

In article ,
(Helen J. Foss) wrote:

[...]

You sound a little needy, which might be off-putting to some seed
recipients. Certainly there is a type of gardener too cheapy-ass to buy
even a $2 seedling or a packet of seeds, the sorts of bungholes who just
want something for nothing. Because of my website, I have beggars emailing
me for cuttings & seeds several times a week, as there seem to be no end
of ******s cruising the web looking for free plants from perfect strangers
because they apparently have no actual friends with whom to trade plants.
I ignore most of them or send them links to commercial sources, but when I
can I do occasionally share things with friends & correspondents, though
mainly with visitors rather than with emailers.

Despite my own cynical views of the matter, people have sent me things
from time to time which they thought I would enjoy, which I often did
enjoy, which I never failed to thank them for. I've also occasionally sent
seedlings or bulbs to people, wanting or expecting nothing in trade, & no
one has ever failed to thank me; most have even sent follow-up reports on
how stuff is doing in their yards.

If a curmudgeonly old carlin like myself can share stuff with 100% happy
outcomes, but you share hundreds of times only to become embittered by
insufficient degrees of gratitude -- well, it does sound like you might
need to LOOK INSIDE YOURSELF for the causes of your disappointment.
Whatever good karma you would otherwise be storing up goes down the drain
if you whine about insufficient sphincter-sucking from people to whom
you've given seeds.

If you feel so owed by your good deed, ask people you don't know to send
you a stamped self-addressed envelop to receive the seeds. That way, if
they fail to meet your standards for their gratitude, at least you haven't
wasted a stamp on them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Old 17-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Stephen M. Henning

zxcvbob wrote:

If I recall correctly, you posted the "real life" names and addresses of
a bunch of the people you sent seeds too. (It's been a while so I could
be mistaken, but I do remember being shocked by something like that)

You must be mistaken. I searched all of Helen's old posting and none
were like that. She did post peoples names but no addresses or email
addresses. She apparently likes to send through the news group rather
than email. However I did run across a number of people who tried to
email her and the email bounced:

"Helen (aka "The Saint") will no doubt answer for herself, but I did
hear from her that she has been having email problems as well. I
don't hit "reply" to her messages, but instead cut & paste her email
address into a new message. They don't seem to bounce."

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 17-03-2004, 07:44 PM
madgardener

"chaz" wrote in message

It isnt FREE if you demand some sort of payment............and it looks

like
you do. Expectation breeds resentment.

chaz-

you seem to forget that it's not a demand of payment to ask for a simple
"thank you". that's common decency. That's like offering someone half your
sandwich and they take it, eat it and walk away. Helen isn't asking for any
payment. she's asking for THANKS and confirmation that they RECEIVED their
seeds! geeze. I know you were raised better than to think this!
sigh.........
madgardener who appreciates any seed, root, tuber, bulb or division from
anyone who sends them to her---------------

Old 17-03-2004, 07:47 PM
zxcvbob

madgardener wrote:

"chaz" wrote in message

It isnt FREE if you demand some sort of payment............and it looks

like

you do. Expectation breeds resentment.

chaz-

you seem to forget that it's not a demand of payment to ask for a simple
"thank you". that's common decency. That's like offering someone half your
sandwich and they take it, eat it and walk away. Helen isn't asking for any
payment. she's asking for THANKS and confirmation that they RECEIVED their
seeds! geeze. I know you were raised better than to think this!
sigh.........
madgardener who appreciates any seed, root, tuber, bulb or division from
anyone who sends them to her---------------

Lest anyone get the idea from my previous message, I don't really blame
Helen for getting upset; I remember how ****ed I was when I exchanged
some aquatic plants with someone on rec.aquaria.frshwater.plants and
they stiffed me. I picked out my very best extra java ferns and wrapped
them carefully and sent them priority mail. I don't remember what kind
of plants I was supposed to get in return, but I never heard back from
the guy. I sent him an email to see if they had arrived OK, and he said
they were great. And he never sent me anything. I sent a reminder
email a few weeks later and he never replied. I was only out a couple
of dollars for the postage, but I *really* felt hurt and angry about
being taken advantage of.

Maybe he sent them and they got lost in the mail. I tend to believe
that a certain [large] percentage people are just assholes, and I don't
do exchanges anymore unless I'm OK with getting nothing back.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 17-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Ann

"chaz" expounded:

It isnt FREE if you demand some sort of payment............and it looks like
you do. Expectation breeds resentment.

Oh, bullshit. Simple grattitude doesn't cost you a damned thing.
Helen deserved thanx for every single recipient, and she surely
shouldn't have had to post what she did. I never took her up on her
kind offer; shame on any who didn't thank her.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA