GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strawberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55907-strawberries.html)

Brian 17-03-2004 10:18 PM

Strawberries

Are quite the finest of 'fruits' and I have grown them all my life. Err~~
with straw to protect from being soiled by soil splashes!!.
Those from other countries visited were nowhere as good as from England.
From hot regions they lacked any real flavour.
Hence I decided that those from England were the best possible. However
when visiting Sweden recently there was a glut of totally exceptional
flavourful gems. The market stalls had mountains of them.
They had been grown in warm weather with days of more than twenty hours of
daylight with a brief growing season. This seems to be the ulimate growing
method.
I made a pig of myself and was still loath to leave them.
Botanically, Sweden is well worth a visit. No wonder Carl L. was from
there.
Best wishes.