GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Small Carrot/Radish Box. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/55958-small-carrot-radish-box.html)

Play4aBuck 18-03-2004 08:02 AM

Small Carrot/Radish Box.

Hi,

I'm thinking about building a small raised garden area about (2' W x 3' L x
12" D) just for carrots and radishes within my larger garden. I get a good
crop of carrots/radishes every year but they are tuff to extract from the
sandy soil. If I fill up the bottom-less box with some good soil mixture
then the carrots should be easier to pick and may grow better. Anyone see a
problem with this? With such a small box will it dry out to quickly? Will
I get pencil-like carrots if the soil if too loose? I may make it larger
and plant my onions in it too. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim