GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ranunculus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/56331-ranunculus.html)

McFadden57 21-03-2004 05:42 PM

Ranunculus

Does anyone have growing tips or experience with ranunculus?
Are they easy to grow?
Should I start them indoors (I am in Vermont)
Thank you.

paghat 21-03-2004 06:36 PM

Ranunculus

In article ,
(McFadden57) wrote:

Does anyone have growing tips or experience with ranunculus?
Are they easy to grow?
Should I start them indoors (I am in Vermont)
Thank you.

There are many species of Ranunculus. If you mean Ranunculus ficara, it is
easy to grow & can become a little weedy, but is so small & emphemeral for
early spring that it is hardly apt ever to be a nuisance even if it gets a
bit rampant. The named cultivars spread less rapidly. Page:
http://www.paghat.com/ranunculusficaria.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

junkyardcat 22-03-2004 04:34 AM

Ranunculus

I don't have any experience with them, but I found 2 pots of them on the
clearance rack at Lowe's yesterday, and I just HAD to have them, LOL! I
planted them in my garden today, and they look beautiful! I'm hoping they'll
last awhile...sure puts some instant color into the yard:)

Good Luck with yours:)
Angie

madgardener 23-03-2004 09:35 PM

Ranunculus

is there a Ranunculus that is known as "flora pleno"? I had a plant that
loved a damp place that had these awesome little minature bright yellow,
waxy looking flowers that were no larger than my thumbnail. It would throw a
couple three daughters to runner from the central mother plant. I gave
starts of it away until one spring it never returned for me. There is a
single variety that is wild around here, but it was a deffinate double that
I was told by the agricultural extension agent that it was a creeping
Ranunculus, or true buttercup variety flora pleno. I'd LOVE to find it again
and get it reestablished. The flowers rose about six to 7 inches above the
ruffled leaves. . ...
madgardener

madgardener 23-03-2004 10:33 PM

Ranunculus

yeah, rub it in that we have idiots running our nursery this year at the
Lowes lawn and garden I work in................you talking the larger ones?
I'm talking the smaller more wild flower variety that I'm looking for I used
to have in Nashville and three years here...........I GOTTA quit sharing so
much of things I adore. a little is fine but to share all but one and to
lose the one----------
madgardener knowing she will always share :)

Watcher Mom 24-03-2004 06:02 PM

Ranunculus

"madgardener" wrote in message ...
is there a Ranunculus that is known as "flora pleno"? I had a plant that
loved a damp place that had these awesome little minature bright yellow,
waxy looking flowers that were no larger than my thumbnail. It would throw a
couple three daughters to runner from the central mother plant. I gave
starts of it away until one spring it never returned for me. There is a
single variety that is wild around here, but it was a deffinate double that
I was told by the agricultural extension agent that it was a creeping
Ranunculus, or true buttercup variety flora pleno. I'd LOVE to find it again
and get it reestablished. The flowers rose about six to 7 inches above the
ruffled leaves. . ...
madgardener

I think I have that growing in my garden......:-)) It grows and grows.
I have been tearing it out... Let me know, and I will send you some...
Susie (in Ohio) :-))

David J Bockman 24-03-2004 06:32 PM

Ranunculus

Around here the indigenous ranunculus are referred to as 'swamp buttercup'.
Charming flowers.

Dave

om...