Old 22-03-2004, 04:35 PM
John Keller

Default Queen Palm Tree Problem

I have had an ongoing problem problem with three tree queen palms. One of a
group of three first started to show wilted new fronds. I was told it was
Frizzle Top and I should treat it with Magnisium Sulfate and Palm
fertilizer. We did this accourding to instructions on the packages.
The problem has improved a little on the first tree for a while, but it and
the other two trees have also shown troubling signs. We looked close and
all of the trees have a creamy white, waxy coating on the fronds and trunk.
The coating washed off with a high preassure streams of hose water.
I cannot determine if this coating was a normal function of the tree, and
unrelated to the problems we have been having, or is a disease or scale
problem. Any ideas.

L. John Keller II
Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in
silence...

Old 23-03-2004, 01:02 AM
Ricky

"John Keller" wrote in message
I have had an ongoing problem problem with three tree queen palms. One of

group of three first started to show wilted new fronds. I was told it was
Frizzle Top and I should treat it with Magnisium Sulfate and Palm
fertilizer. We did this accourding to instructions on the packages.
The problem has improved a little on the first tree for a while, but it

and
the other two trees have also shown troubling signs. We looked close and
all of the trees have a creamy white, waxy coating on the fronds and

trunk.
The coating washed off with a high preassure streams of hose water.
I cannot determine if this coating was a normal function of the tree, and
unrelated to the problems we have been having, or is a disease or scale
problem. Any ideas.

It sounds like a combination of Frizzle Top and a fungal infection. Look at
the base of the trunk for a "shelf-like" fungus. That is Ganoderma and it is
fatal. My suggestion would be to get rid of the Queen Palms and replace them
with Foxtails. Queen Palms are a high maintenance palm. Foxtails are
self-cleaning and they look a lot nicer. If you take out the Queens remove
as much old soil as possible and don't replant for 2 years in that spot.

Old 25-03-2004, 08:33 AM
^_^ how

Hi,
Treat frizzle top with manganese sulphate NOT magnesium sulphate. Also there
is normally a whitish waxy substance on the petioles and the spaths. You
should not wash this off.
HTH ^_^ how
no NEWS is good

Old 25-03-2004, 08:35 AM
^_^ how

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Palm Tree ID + little palm? mgunnill United Kingdom 6 15-06-2010 11:03 AM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
majestic palm seeding problem Martin Australia 0 16-04-2004 04:33 AM
majestic palm problem Martin Gardening 0 16-04-2004 04:32 AM
Question: Need Queen Palm Fertilizer Toby Gardening 0 07-02-2003 08:31 PM