GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Master Gardeners (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/56806-master-gardeners.html)

Starlord 25-03-2004 08:33 AM

Master Gardeners

When I lived in Hawaii ( Makaha area of Oahu ) I was out tending to my
canna plants one day. A car pulled up and a guy got out and took some
photos of the canna, he said he was from the midwest and he wanted to
take home some Hawaiian plants, so I sold him some canna rhizomes.

I've always wondered how long it took him to figure out that canna
didn't come from Hawaii, that they are new world plants from the south
mexico, cent/south Am areas?

--
Dragons Must Fly when Thread's in the Sky

www.starlords.org

---

Cereus-validus 25-03-2004 02:05 PM

Master Gardeners

Goober has probably never figured it out.

You probably could have sold that dumb city slicker some "magic beans" and
he would never catch on.

The little remaining endemic Hawaiian flora is endangered and mostly not
very showy. Personally, I would be looking for the native yellow-flowered
Dracaena (Pleomele) species or Binghamia.

Sed5555 26-03-2004 05:34 AM

Master Gardeners

Good story. I plant canna here in Denver to give part of my garden a tropical
look.
sed5555

Sed5555 26-03-2004 05:34 AM

Master Gardeners

Starlord 26-03-2004 05:48 AM

Master Gardeners

I grow'm here in the High Mojave Desert now, and this is my first year
of being able to sell some of them too. I've always liked canna.

Here I don't need to dig them up, I just cover with straw after the
first freeze kills the tops and during the winter, the rhizome keeps
on feeding and growing and growing.

Sed5555 26-03-2004 06:01 AM

Master Gardeners

azam 26-03-2004 11:26 AM