Old 30-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Michael Singmin

Default Thrips on African Violets

Hello Group,

One my African Violets has thrips.

Any non pesticide solutions ?

Michael Singmin
Pretoria

Old 30-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Cereus-validus

Nope.

Anything that would solve your problem, even organic, would still be a
pesticide by definition.

Old 30-03-2004, 11:32 PM
John Gotts

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 19:52:46 GMT, Cereus-validus wrote:

Anything that would solve your problem, even organic, would still be a
pesticide by definition.

Physically removing and relocating them wouldn't be a pesticide by definition.
It wouldn't be simple, though.

You said anything.

--
John GOTTS http://linuxsavvy.com/staff/jgotts
Old 31-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Cereus-validus

If you remove the thrips with your fingers and then deliberately squished
them, you would be committing an act of first degree pesticide!!!!

If you accidentally squished them in the process of removing them that would
be pestslaughter!!!

You might want to plead insanity at the time you were doing it but you
probably would have a hard time proving you were buggy!!!

Old 31-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Dwight Sipler

...Anything that would solve your problem, even organic, would still be a
pesticide by definition...

Organic does not mean "without pesticides". It merely limits the choice
of pesticides to those on the approved list. It doesn't even mean
"without broad-spectrum pesticides" or "without substances harmful to
humans in large doses", although the latter category is extremely large,
varied, and ill-defined.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Pen

Safer's has a blue sticky strip that's suppose to capture thrips.
I've never tried it and have only seen it once and never again since.
Usually, I just take the whole plant to my kitchen sink and give it a
good spray under the tap -- both sides of the leaves.

African violets Catbird Texas 0 28-04-2003 06:32 AM
African Violets D_Mozina Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
African violets cc0058529 Gardening 3 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
multiple african violets in the same pot???? Ted Byers Gardening 3 09-03-2003 07:57 PM
best way to water African Violets Iris Cohen Gardening 5 06-03-2003 05:39 AM