Old 01-04-2004, 07:21 AM
McQualude

Default How do you prune severely overgrown bushes?

We have some shrubs in the backyard that serve as a privacy fence. The
previous resident never pruned them so they are about 15+' tall. I would
like to whack about 5' off, do I just go at it with a chainsaw?
--
McQualude
Old 01-04-2004, 07:21 AM
David Ross

McQualude wrote:

We have some shrubs in the backyard that serve as a privacy fence. The
previous resident never pruned them so they are about 15+' tall. I would
like to whack about 5' off, do I just go at it with a chainsaw?

Don't use a chainsaw. It leaves cuts with torn bark that might
cause rot.

Depending on the type of shrub, you might use hedge clippers. Or
you might have to use lopping shears and hand pruning saws.
Different varieties require different pruning methods. In some
cases, you can cut back to bare branches; they will resprout
nicely. In other cases, bare branches (and perhaps the shrub)
will die.

I suggest you first identify the shrubs. Then check a pruning
book. You don't have to buy the book if you have a decent public
library nearby. Otherwise, a good nursery might let you browse
throught a copy.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 01-04-2004, 07:29 AM
SugarChile

No offense, but that's a bit like asking "My car is making a funny noise,
should I add some oil?" 8-)

Before you go whacking away at things with a chainsaw, it would be good to
identify what kind of shrubs they are. Are they evergreen or deciduous?
Do they flower, and what do the flowers look like? How big are the leaves,
how are they shaped, and how are they arranged on the branches? And so on.
You can often shortcut this process by asking a gardening
neighbor--gardeners almost universally love to identify and talk about
plants, and odds are whoever planted your hedge didn't use anything too
exotic. You can also go to a good nursery and wander about a bit until you
spot "your" plant. You could get a basic gardening book from the library.

It's also helpful to know where you live and what your climate is like.

Once we have some basic information, we can help you with your pruning
question.

Or, you can just go at it with the chainsaw. One of my neighbors does. And
he's appalled that I pay someone to change the oil in my lawnmower instead
of servicing it myself. Different strokes, and all that.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA