GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help to identify (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/57756-re-help-identify.html)

Brian 06-04-2004 08:20 PM

Help to identify

Don't transplant~~ can take a number of seasons to settle and flower again.
Best Wishes.
"Anna" wrote in message
Thanks for the fast response. Triple 16 is what a master gardener in our
area (zone 8)recommended as a good all purpose fertilizer 16-16-16.
Anna

"eclectic" wrote in message
It is early yet, but you probably have a peony (Paeonia) emerging.
I don't know what "triple 16" is but I would hold off fertilizing
'til after it flowers. Peonies are rather durable. Have fun with
your discoveries!

"Anna" wrote in message
This is growing in our garden lot. The previous owner has stuff

planted
where ever she happened to find the shovel.
It was about 2-3 feet tall and completely dried out when we bought

the house
last year. The house was empty for a couple of months before we

moved in so
nothing had been watered.
Now it is coming up. What can it be? I sprinkled a little triple

16 around
then have been watering.

http://user.cavenet.com/acarter/unknown%20plant/
Thanks
Anna

Ann 06-04-2004 08:22 PM

Help to identify

"Anna" expounded:

This is growing in our garden lot. The previous owner has stuff planted
where ever she happened to find the shovel.
It was about 2-3 feet tall and completely dried out when we bought the house
last year. The house was empty for a couple of months before we moved in so
nothing had been watered.
Now it is coming up. What can it be? I sprinkled a little triple 16 around
then have been watering.

http://user.cavenet.com/acarter/unknown%20plant/
Thanks
Anna

It looks like a peony, as others have said. You can transplant it, it
might not flower for another year or so, but then again it may still.
If you leave it where it is, please gently remove the grass that's
growing around it and don't use any high-powered fertilizer on it, if
it gets too much nitrogen you'll have all sorts of nice green foliage
and no blooms! I feed mine in the fall with a good bulb fertilizer
and they bloom like mad for me.

If or when you move it, do it either right now or in early fall. Dig
a large rootball with it. Do take care of it and let us know what the
flowers look like, they're gorgeous plants.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA