GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   mystery house plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/58559-mystery-house-plant.html)

Kathy Bilton 10-04-2004 12:33 AM

mystery house plant

Hi -

I've put a picture of a mystery house plant at:

http://www.bilton.us/plantfromhelen.jpg

and am hoping someone can tell me what it is.

Opposite leaved vine with thick coriaceous leaves. Flowers - 5
parted pink and red in umbels.

Thanks.

--Kathy

kathy at the domain fred dot net

(mail at posting address not read)

David Hill 10-04-2004 02:32 AM

mystery house plant

Hoya

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Brian 10-04-2004 12:32 PM

mystery house plant

Do not over-water. This is Hoya carnosa from Queensland -- [Wax plant]
Over-watering causes the brown leaves that can be seen.
Old overgrown specimens can be cut back but take ages recovering .
Better replaced.
Best Wishes m...

Janice 10-04-2004 02:02 PM

mystery house plant

On 9 Apr 2004 16:19:59 -0700, (Kathy Bilton)
wrote:

Hi -

I've put a picture of a mystery house plant at:

http://www.bilton.us/plantfromhelen.jpg

and am hoping someone can tell me what it is.

Hoya Carnosa .. one common name .. wax plant

Kathy Bilton 11-04-2004 04:02 AM

mystery house plant

Thanks for identification and watering tips, etc.

Since learning the name of the plant, I was looking around for some
info on it - and found this page
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs...axon.pl?103205 which lists
it as being native to:

* ASIA-TEMPERATE
China: China - Fujian, Guangdong, Guangxi, Yunnan
Eastern Asia: Japan - Kyushu, Ryukyu Islands; Taiwan
* ASIA-TROPICAL
Indian Subcontinent: India
Indo-China: Vietnam
Malesia: Malaysia