GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I burned my pine tree... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/58610-i-burned-my-pine-tree.html)

Kevin Miller 10-04-2004 06:02 PM

I burned my pine tree...

.... some hay caught fire and "toasted" the side of my pine
tree. After a few weeks the needles have turned brown. Will they
regenerate?

Thanks!

Mike LaMana 10-04-2004 07:32 PM

I burned my pine tree...

What kind of pine? Planted or native?? What percent of the green foliage got
toasted???

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Kevin Miller 11-04-2004 04:32 AM

I burned my pine tree...

I think it's an alberta spruce planted about 20 years ago.... about
25% got cooked... thanks (it looks pretty bad all brown)

gregpresley 11-04-2004 06:33 AM

I burned my pine tree...

Real pines regenerate from fire, often. That's why the forest service has
controlled burns. (Underbrush dies, pines survive). However, spruces are not
real pines, and I have not heard of them regenerating from fire damage.
Maybe someone else has other information.

Mike LaMana 11-04-2004 03:02 PM

I burned my pine tree...

It almost certainly will not sprout back very well. Do not fertilize it to
get it to do so. as this may kill it by forcing the plant to 'empty its bank
account' as it were. Let come back naturally, or try some Roots2 or sea-kelp
root stimulator and hope for the best.