GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/58627-recommendations-patio-trees-bay-area-ca.html)

Charles Eubanks 10-04-2004 11:32 PM

Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA?

I have an empty party patio (10' x 15') and would like to add some
potted trees for privacy and shade. Japanese maple and palm trees
seem very popular. A friend suggests mimosa.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,

MLEBLANCA 11-04-2004 05:32 PM

Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA?

In article ,
(Charles Eubanks) writes:

I have an empty party patio (10' x 15') and would like to add some
potted trees for privacy and shade. Japanese maple and palm trees
seem very popular. A friend suggests mimosa.

I would not use the mimosa. (Albizia)
It grows very quickly to a Very Big Tree.
It 's also going to drop large quantities of flowers every day and
then seed pods.
Exceedlingly beautiful tree, but not for a patio.

Emilie
NorCal

Gardñ@Gardñ.info 12-04-2004 11:02 AM

Recommendations for patio trees in Bay Area CA?

(MLEBLANCA) in news:20040411121852.00150.00000229@mb-
m11.aol.com:

I would not use the mimosa. (Albizia)
It grows very quickly to a Very Big Tree.

if you overwater. otherwise they become a low, spreading (relativley
flattopped) tree that provides partial shade

but it is messy enough to bother people when the mess accumulates on paved
surfaces.

i think sunset western garden book has patio and pool-side among the lists
in the front area of the book. see the book at local library.