GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Very Very Newbie Questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/58638-very-very-newbie-questions.html)

Rebecca Hilliard 11-04-2004 05:32 AM

Very Very Newbie Questions

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not?
And if it's not, how do I make it so?

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means
I need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not,
what does "sandy" soil actually mean?

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Any suggestions, links,
etc. are welcome!!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Charles 11-04-2004 06:02 AM

Very Very Newbie Questions

On 10 Apr 2004 21:18:59 -0700, (Rebecca
Hilliard) wrote:

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not?
And if it's not, how do I make it so?

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means
I need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not,
what does "sandy" soil actually mean?

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Any suggestions, links,
etc. are welcome!!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Don't do this when it's raining.

Dig a hole 2 feet deep. Hope it doesn't fill with water by itself.

Fill it with water, let the water drain out. Fill it again, if the
water drains away in one hour or so, drainage is good. If it stays
for several hours, drainage is bad.

--

- Charles
-

Tom Randy 11-04-2004 02:32 PM

Very Very Newbie Questions

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:18:59 -0400, Rebecca Hilliard wrote:

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not? And if
it's not, how do I make it so?

Do you have standing puddles of water that remain for long periods of
time? When you water does it take a LONG time for it to drain down? If so,
you can work in sand, perlite, compost, etc.

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

I beleive full sun is 6 hours or more a day. Early morning or late
afternoon sun is ok for shade loving plants.

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means I
need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not, what
does "sandy" soil actually mean?

Sandy soil would mean the soil has excellent drainage.
See above comments for well drained..

I would appreciate any help you can provide. Any suggestions, links,
etc. are welcome!!

Thanks,
Rebecca

Tom

Phisherman 11-04-2004 09:02 PM

Very Very Newbie Questions

Hilliard) wrote:

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not?
And if it's not, how do I make it so?

After a good rain examine the ground. A well-drained area will not
have any standing water. Walking on it with sandals should not get
your feet wet. You can make an area "well drained" by diverting
runoff water by using drain tubes with gravel and/or making a raised
bed.

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

Many gardeners consider 6 hours of sun is "full sun." From that,
anything less would be "part sun" or "part shade." Afternoon sun is
more intense than morning sun.

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means
I need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not,
what does "sandy" soil actually mean?

Sandy soil contains a significant portion of sand. Take a close look
at the soil and feel it. A moist sandy soil will feel gritty. Only
the plant can "tell" you if enough is adequate, but a half inch of
sand worked into the area would be a good start.

David Hill 11-04-2004 10:02 PM

Very Very Newbie Questions

"..........How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not?
..........."

Dig a hole 12 inches square and about 15 inches deep pour in 1 or 2 buckets
full of water and time how long it takes to drain away.
The faster it drains the better your drainage.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Janet Baraclough.. 12-04-2004 12:02 AM

Very Very Newbie Questions

The message
from (Rebecca Hilliard) contains these words:

I have some very basic questions I would love answers to.

1) How am I supposed to tell if my soil is "well drained" or not?

Heavy rain makes puddles. On well-drained soil, when the rain stops,
the puddles soon disappear. On badly drained soil, the puddles lie
around for a long time... days, weeks, months even.

And if it's not, how do I make it so?

That depends on your climate, location and topography, so tell us more.

2) If a particular plant requires part shade, how much actual time is
that daily approximately?

Ditto.

3) If a certain plant requires "sandy" soil-should I assume that means
I need to add sand to my soil? If so, how much is adequate? If not,
what does "sandy" soil actually mean?

It means that the plant prefers a light, free-draining soil, probably
low in nutrients. In some situations, you can improvise by adding grit
to the soil; pointless if you live in the bottom of a damp peaty hollow
though.

Janet.