GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   any heat resistance lettuce varities? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/58692-any-heat-resistance-lettuce-varities.html)

N M 12-04-2004 02:32 AM

any heat resistance lettuce varities?

i am in Tampa, FL

would someone recommend some any heat resistance lettuce varities?
and where i
would buy it from?

thnx

M. Tiefert 12-04-2004 08:02 PM

N M wrote:
i am in Tampa, FL

would someone recommend some any heat resistance lettuce varities?
and where i
would buy it from?

Some of the romaine-type lettuces tend to be relatively heat-resistant.
But I don't think I'd try growing them in the summer in Florida.

Seeds of Change has a Jericho variety.
Park has Lactuca sativa Craquerelle du Midi, which they say will still
be good in June in Florida. They also have a Lettuce Summer Glory Blend,
which includes heat-tolerant varieties that are not romaines.

I'm sure there's more - just search some online catalogs for "romaine",
or maybe "heat tolerant".

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean gardening info & ideas: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/

gregpresley 13-04-2004 06:33 AM

any heat resistance lettuce varities?

Lettuce would be a winter crop in central and south Florida. You can grow
some varieties of amaranth for their leaves - which look and taste like
spinach - if you want a heat tolerant leafy green to eat fresh. I think
there is also a perennial called New Zealand spinach which has similar
properties. Otherwise, you can grow tougher greens such as collards to eat
in the summer, but most people would prefer to cook those.
"M. Tiefert" wrote in message
om...