Old 12-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Peter

Default suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrub Bushes

Greetings all..... Racking my brains out over here. (small loss).

Last year I landscaped a center circle in the neighborhood cul-de-sac, using
a magnolia, euonymous, plaintain hostas, gold hosta's and a variety of
other flowers, both annual and perenial. Well, the out of control deer herd
in this neighborhood, munched the euonymous and hostas..(and daylillies and
tulips).

So I"m stuck attempting to figure out a replacement for the euonymous...

They are in a semi- circle giving balance to one half of the circle. Everything
is designed to have these shrubs spaced evenly around the back end of
the magnolia.

Hollies and other stickies are not appropriate as there are children present.
Junipers were briefly considered but they are better for mass planting and
would not look good as a single standing shrub.

Looking for something evergreen, deer resistant that coordinates with the
leaf structure of the magnolia. Perhaps Nandina or Barberry. Thuja
was under consideration but it just doesn't coordinate with the sweet bay
magnolia.

Any suggestions for the Shrubs ?? This is zone 7A metropolitan Columbia
which means temperatures go from -5 to 105, where four years of drought
can be followed by two years of flooding. Area is in direct sun.

Are any hosta's deer resistant ?? I'm thinking of replacing them with
Hardy Gloxina but not quite sure.

Your thoughts are appreciate !!!

Thanks !!!

ps...btw..... decided NOT to go with the rubber mulch...too many negatives.
Just finished putting down shredded hardwood in the front gardens and leaf
mulch in the back.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:02 PM
J. Del Col

Peter wrote in message . ..
Greetings all..... Racking my brains out over here. (small loss).

Last year I landscaped a center circle in the neighborhood cul-de-sac, using
a magnolia, euonymous, plaintain hostas, gold hosta's and a variety of
other flowers, both annual and perenial. Well, the out of control deer herd
in this neighborhood, munched the euonymous and hostas..(and daylillies and
tulips).

So I"m stuck attempting to figure out a replacement for the euonymous...

If you find one, let me know. Whitetail deer will eat just about
anything if they are hungry enough. This includes hollies,
rhododendrons, azaleas, roses, and various evergreens including
junipers, pines, and bald cypress. I have largely given up planting
much of anything that I can't grow indoors. If I do plant something
outdoors, I cage it in poultry netting. It's ugly, but it does keep
Bambi and his gang at bay.

A good rifle is the only sure remedy, but the Bambi huggers and
hoplophobes have made that solution unacceptable in most places.

J. Del Col

Old 12-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Peter wrote:

Any suggestions for the Shrubs ?? This is zone 7A metropolitan Columbia
which means temperatures go from -5 to 105, where four years of drought
can be followed by two years of flooding. Area is in direct sun.

South Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee, or Pennsylvania?

For South Carolina, here are some deer resistant plants:

Acaena spp - New Zealand Burrs grow in low mats, dying back to the roots
in temperatures below -10 degrees celcius.

Acanthus spp. - Bears Breeches are also listed in part 2 (shade plants),
and in hot sun their leaves may scald.

Achillea spp - Not all yarrows are deer-resistant. Choose ones with
grey-green leaves such as summer pastels, Anthea, Paprika, ptarmica or
Moonshine.

Aconitum spp - Monkshoods like a bit of shade and moist soil. They make
a good substitute for Delphiniums, growing to 4 to 5 feet tall in
colours in blue, white and pale yellow.

Allium spp - Ornamental onions are something deer don't like, but
generally the stronger the flavour the more turned off they will be.
Chives make very pretty flowers. They've been known to snack on heads of
the giant purple kinds.

Antennaria spp. - Pussytoes form grey mats in dry areas, and host white
or pink flowers on short stems in spring.

Arabis spp. - Rock Cress forms low mats and cascades over walls in sun
and well-drained soil. There are white and pink flowered varieties.

Angelica gigas - This purple-seeded Angelica is deer-tolerant, but I'm
not sure about the others. These look very nice growing with ornamental
grasses. They will form large, bold leaves for up to 2 years and then
send up a massive flower stalk of white flowers held on an umbel.

Arenaria montana - Sandwort is a robust spring blooming mat forming
perennial hosting white flowers in late-spring.

Armoracia rusticana - This is horseradish. A new variegated forms has
arrived that's very interesting.

Artemisia spp. - Any of the aromatic artemisias are deer-resistant. Try
'Valerie Finnis' or abrotana for taller varieties. For groundcover, try
'Silver Brocade' or 'Silver Mound'. The herbs Southernwood and Wormwood
are also excellent. If you live in a desert area in North America, you
will probably be familiar with Sagebrush. This is a type of Artemisia.

Aurinia saxatilis - Basket of Gold Alyssum is a standby in rock gardens.
They form sulfur-yellow blooms in spring and hang over walls and
rockeries.

Baptisia australis - False Indigo forms a beautiful bush of blue flowers
to 3 feet tall in summer.

Calamintha - Calamint is a mint-like plant but is better because it
doesn't get rust and also doesn't spread madly. They are available in a
nice variegated variety.

Centaurea montana - This perennial Bachelors Buttons grow to 2' with
oval dark green leaves and woolly stems. Flowers are blue with frilly
petals in late spring and early summer, with a delicious fragrance.

Cerastium - Snow-in-summer is another rockery perennial. They bloom in
late-spring and keep their nice grey leaves year-round.

Chamaemelum nobile - Creeping Chamomile forms a nice lawn-substitute
with white daisy flowers in spring and summer.

Conradia canescens - The Cumberland Rosemary has grey-green foliage with
a camphor scent. Has light pink flowers throughout summer and prefers
sandy acidic soil, much like its native habit under pines.

Delosperma cooperi - The Ice Plant is so low-growing that deer can't get
at them properly. They hug the ground in full sun and well-drained soil
and form bright yellow daisy flowers in summer.

Dianthus - These comprise rockery pinks, maiden pinks and carnations. In
the case of large-flowered taller growing carnations, they will eat the
flowers, but not harm the plant. They also love sweet-williams, which
are also Dianthus species.

Eryngium spp - Sea Holly and it's relatives comprise a group of plants
with sharp prickles and not much to offer deer culinarily. They are good
in bright sun and well-drained soil. Watering in summer will produce
more flowers.

Geranium macrorrhizum - The Bigroot Cranesbill is one geranium with a
very strong smell. They produces many flowers in pink or white in early
summer, and sparse flushes through summer into fall if deadheaded. It
would be worth trying other aromatic Geranium species such as G.
Cantrabrigiense 'Biocovo'.

Glaucium flavum - This is a lovely plant with a rosette of gray hairy
leaves and yellow poppy like flowers early summer. Full sun and well
drained soils.

Goniolimon tataricum - German Statice

Inula helenium - Elecampane bears large yellow daisies in early to mid
summer.

Lavandula - Lavender

Leucanthemum superbum - Shasta Daisies

Marrubium vulgare - Horehound has attractive grey leaves and white to
light-pink flowers in summer.

Melissa officinalis - Lemon Balm is a mint-relative and has the ability
to go wild. Watch this in areas with a fragile native habitat. You don't
want to go introducing something that could deter indigenous flora.

Mentha spp. Any mint has a flavour strong enough to deter deer. These
are not the most worthy garden subects other than for growing for herbs,
and please see the above entry for a word about invasiveness.

Myrrhis odorata - These pretty herbs have fine ferny leaves and white
flowers in umbels. Their flowers have a very nice scent.

Nepeta faassenii - Catmint is a nice hummock-forming plant to 2 feet
tall, bearing pale mauve to blue flowers in summer, depending on
variety.

Origanum - Oreganos are available in herbal and ornamental varieties.
All have a strong enough flavour to deter deer.

Perovskia spp. - Russian Sage - This tall growing perennial has very
lovely grey leaves with filagreed edges like a fern. The blue flowers
come in mid- to late-summer and are borne in short spikes at the ends of
the long branches. Grows to 6 feet tall in mild climates. In cold
climates it will die to the base each year and re-grow to about 4 feet.

Rosmarinus officinalis - Rosemary

Ruta graveolens - Rue has brilliant blue green foliage with a ferny fine
texture. Nicely shaped upright plants reach 2-3'. Has yellow flowers
late in summer. Makes a good edging plant and works nicely for contrast
in perennial herb gardens.

Sagina subulata - Irish Moss - This low-grower is so low the deer can't
get at it properly. It's not a real moss and prefers well-drained soil
and some sun.

Salvia officinalis - The Sage used for cooking comes in a few colours;
purple, golden, and tricoloured. These make nice massings with other
low-growing herbs - keep these trimmed for bushy as opposed to spindly
growth.

Santolina chamacyparissus - Santolina, or Cotton Lavender, makes a very
nice massing as well. One of the greyest of all garden plants, this one
sends up yellow ball-shaped flowers in summer. Trim in fall for a bushy
habit.

Sedums - Stonecrops are comprised to tall ones and short ones. Stick to
the short ones and grow them amongst rocks where deer won't be able to
get at them. One of deers favourite snacks are the tall ones, which are
succulent and full of tasty juices.

Stachys byzantina - Wooly Lambs ears - All the soft wool on this rapidly
spreading, sun-loving plant make it unpalatable for deer. The flowers
arise in soft spikes of pale pink in summer.

Thymus - Any thyme will do, whether it is creeping or bushy.

Vernonia fasciculata - Ironweed is a tall prairie or wetland edge plant
with exquisite purple flower clusters, forming spikes to 6 feet tall.
They bloom in late-summer.

courtesy of http://surfsc.com/perennialhouse/deer.htm

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 13-04-2004, 01:04 AM
escapee

http://www.npsot.org/plant_lists/deer_resistant.html

It's the Native Plant Society of Texas, but many of these plants are native to
the entire United States. YMMV.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:34:39 -0400, Peter opined:

Old 13-04-2004, 01:11 AM
William Wagner

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 00:34:39 -0400, Peter opined:

Greetings all..... Racking my brains out over here. (small loss).

Last year I landscaped a center circle in the neighborhood cul-de-sac,

Consider a look at Kerri Japonica. Grows like a weed here in S Jersey.
USA There a a few different types too. Double, Single, Yellow or
white and they are EZ to propagate.

Best

Bill

--
Zone 5 In South Jersey USA Shade
Consider Hearing all sorts of music at http://xpn.org/
Old 13-04-2004, 03:03 PM
Peter

Thanks all, for your suggestions... time to look them up.

I'll keep you posted in anything works... btw located by
Baltimore, Maryland., right smack in the middle of all the
concrete and asphalt which creates a strange type of
micro-climate.

Thanks again !!!

Old 13-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Peter wrote:

I'll keep you posted in anything works... btw located by
Baltimore, Maryland., right smack in the middle of all the
concrete and asphalt which creates a strange type of
micro-climate.

Do you live in the historic section of Columbia? That is my joke
since Columbia was a planned community built in 1966.

Maryland has a good deer resistant plant list at:
http://www.agnr.umd.edu/CES/Pubs/PDF/FS655.pdf

Their lists includes:

Shrubs and Climbers

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi Bearberry
Asimina triloba Pawpaw
Berberis spp. Barberry
Buxus spp. Boxwood
Caryopteris x clandonensis Caryopteris
Calastrus scandens American Bittersweet
Cornus sericea Red Osier Dogwood
Cephalotaxus harringtonia var. koreana Japanese Plum-Yew
Elaeagnus angustifolia Russian Olive
Gaultheria procumbens Creeping Wintergreen
Gaultheria shallon Shallon
Hibiscus syriacus Rose of Sharon
Ilex x 'John T. Morris' John T. Morris Holly
Ilex x 'Lydia Morris' Lydia Morris Hollies
Leucothoe spp. Leucothoe
Ligustrum vulgare European Privet
Pieris japonica Japanese Andromeda
Rhamnus cathartica Common Buckthorn
Sambucus canadensis Blueberry Elder
Sarcoccoca hookeriana var. humilis Dwarf Sweet Christmas Box

Annuals, Perennials, and Bulbs

Achillea spp. Yarrow
Aconitum spp. Monkshood
Ageratum houstonianum Ageratum
Allium christophii Star of Persia
Allium neapolitanum Daffodil Garlic
Allium ostrowskianum Lily Leek
Anemone x hybrida Japanese Anemone
Anemonella thalictroides Rue Anemone
Anethum graveolens Common Dill
Aquilegia spp. Columbine
Aurinia saxatilis Basket-of-Gold
Antirrhinum majus Snapdragon
Arabis spp. Rock-cress
Arisaema triphylum Jack-in-the-Pulpit
Aubrietia deltoidea Rock Cress
Bergenia spp. Berginia
Ceratostigma plumbaginoides Plumbago
Cimicifuga racemosa Snakeroot
Colchicum autumnale Colchicum
Colchicum speciosum Colchicum
Consolida ambigua Larkspur
Convallaria majalis Lily-of-the-valley
Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' Threadleaf Coreopsis
Cyclamen hederifolium Neopolitan Cyclamen
Dicentra spectabilis Bleeding Heart
Digitalis spp. Foxglove
Dryopteris marginalis Wood Fern
Ecinacea purpurea Purple Coneflower
Epimedium spp. Barrenwort
Euphorbia spp. Euphorbia
Fritillaria spp. Fritillary
Galium odoratuim Sweet Woodruff
Gloriosa superba Glory Lily
Hemmerocallis ' Stella de Oro' Stella de Oro Daylily
Hesperis matronalis Dame's Rocket
Hyacinthus orientalis Hyacinth
Lamium maculatum Deadnettle
Lavandula spp. Lavender
Linaria vulgaris Toadflax
Lobularia maritima Sweet Alyssum
Lychnis coronaria Rose Champion
Matteuccia struthiopteris Ostrich Fern
Narcissus spp. Daffodil
Nicotiana spp. Flowering Tobacco
Onoclea sensibilis Sensitive Fern
Osmunda regalis var. spectabilis Royal Fern
Pachysandra procumbens Allegheny Spurge
Pachysandra terminalis Japanese Spurge
Papaver orientale Oriental Poppy
Pelargonium spp. Scented Geranium
Pervoskia atriplicifolia Russian Sage
Ranunculus spp. Buttercup
Rheum rhabarbarum Rhubarb
Rudbeckia spp. Coneflower
Salvia spp. Sage
Santolina chamaecyparissus Lavender Cotton
Scilla spp. Squill
Stachys byzantina Lamb's Ears
Tagetes spp. Marigold
Tanacetum vulgare Common Tansy
Thymus spp. Thyme
Tiarella cordifolia Foam Flower
Tropaeolum majus Nasturtium
Yucca spp. Yucca

Old 13-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Peter

Actually I do.... The subdivision was built in 1971 - 1972... and here's where things
become totally unbelieveable. I'm within 3 minutes of 4 major highways, ( I95, 100,
29 and 32). Within 2 miles of 3 major shopping malls... and yet, the entire back
area of the house is open land, with a school about 1/2 mile away with many many
acres of undeveloped space. That's why the deer are such a problem, there's a
stream with running water, at the back, plenty of wooded space...and a deer salad
bar on my property..... It's sorta like the 5 star hotel of the area.

I did get the list from the Dept of Natural Resources...and (fortunately have
several deer resistant plants) but the deer will eat almost ANYTHING (even
hollies and carmellia's). Plus they urinated on an ivy bed and two leyland
cypress shrubs destroying all.

So between the drought, floods, (I"m also in a flood plain), and deer, gardening is
about as stress filled as it can be.

Are you in the area ??

Old 13-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Peter wrote:

I did get the list from the Dept of Natural Resources...and (fortunately have
several deer resistant plants) but the deer will eat almost ANYTHING (even
hollies and carmellia's). Plus they urinated on an ivy bed and two leyland
cypress shrubs destroying all.
So between the drought, floods, (I"m also in a flood plain), and deer,
gardening is about as stress filled as it can be.
Are you in the area ??

I am closer to Reading, PA. I have stayed in Columbia, MD before using
Dulles Airport.

I had a Christmas tree farm which was descimated by deer when we had
very deep snowfalls in 1994 and 1996. I raise quite a few rhododendrons
but must protect them from deer with netting. Deer haven't attacked
Virginia Juniper (red cedar) yet, but will eat almost anything else that
is green. All the usual repellants like soap, hair, urine, eggs, hot
peppers will work for a little while. The only thing that has worked
for me is fencing or netting. I have noticed that many rhododendrons
that have American species heritage are much further down on the deer's
goodie list.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 26-04-2004, 06:05 AM

[...]

FERNS!! deer will not eat fern.
also...if you live in a woodsy type area, wander around and see what's
growing that has not been gnawed upon by the local herd.
here, in new hamster, i've noticed that deer hate the wild spirea and won't
eat the cultivated ones either. they also totally avoid zizzia (golden
alexanders) and wintergreen...even the berries!! (good for me cuz i love
'em)
they don't seem to even want to chunk out on the huckleberries, nor the
cultivated blueberry bushes.

there's a start.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
runswithdeer

A statement like that could only come from inbreeding.

I just moved into an area with lots of deer and so far, they don't touch
the boxwoods I have everywhere. I was also told they hate geraniums.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
RAINDEAR

yah, but they (whoever it was who told you) were talking about REAL
geraniums, such as Cranesbill, NOT --Pelargoniums
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

From: "runswithdeer"
Newsgroups: rec.gardens
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 08:52:04 -0500
Subject: suggestions for Deer Resistant Shrub Bushes

Old 12-03-2006, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Louis P Quist

ah, last I checked geraniums were "real" pelargoniums....