Old 13-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Bill

Default Royal Paulownia tree

Hi Y'all,

Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it
can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)

Is this tree in the same family as the Royal Poinciana.

I livein west central Florida.

Y'all have helped me before.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 13-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Bill Spohn

Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it
can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)

No.

The Pawlonia is a giant weed, but that sort of growth would be pushing the
envelope.

For that price you will get a pretty small plant, and it won't take off for a
year or two.
Old 13-04-2004, 05:32 AM
Cereus-validus

Its a weed tree that you don't want to deliberately plant in your yard no
matter how cheap it is.

Old 13-04-2004, 05:32 AM
zhanataya

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:30:17 GMT, Bill
wrote:

Hi Y'all,

Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it
can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)

Is this tree in the same family as the Royal Poinciana.

I livein west central Florida.

Y'all have helped me before.

Thanks,

Bill

It's a weed. Wait a couple of weeks and you'll have lots of them
popping up in your lawn and garden from your neighbors.

zhan
Old 13-04-2004, 12:32 PM
Mike LaMana

I have seen Paulownia do 6-8' in one year after it had established a root
system...but why would you want this darned thing It is flowery - true -
but the wood is weaker than balsa, it is very short lived, it makes a hell
of a mess, and it is an invasive exotic.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 13-04-2004, 02:32 PM
escapee

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:30:17 GMT, Bill opined:

Hi Y'all,

Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it
can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)

Is this tree in the same family as the Royal Poinciana.

I livein west central Florida.

Y'all have helped me before.

Thanks,

Bill

I bought a Paulownia at (of all places) Home Depot. It is a Paulownia
kawakamii. It was 2 feet tall when I bought it. The first year it grew 8 feet,
this is it's second year (third growing season) and it is about 20 feet tall.
These are very fast growning trees, and they are actually also hardwood.

http://www.smgrowers.com/info/paulownia.asp
http://www.dragontrees.com/dragonbe.html

Here are two URL's with the info on them.
Old 13-04-2004, 02:32 PM
escapee

I agree, but if you have a large property, it is a great fast growing tree. It
is said to be one which can take over, but not here in Texas. The problem trees
here are Chinese tallow and wax leaf ligustrum. I planted my P. out at the far
back of the property to shade out the dumb street light...and it does that
perfectly. It's not near any water pipes or wells, or sewer drains. I wouldn't
plant it near any of those.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 03:51:55 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

Its a weed tree that you don't want to deliberately plant in your yard no
matter how cheap it is.

.. .

Old 13-04-2004, 03:02 PM

wrote:

Hi Y'all,

Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it
can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)

Is this tree in the same family as the Royal Poinciana.

Hi Bill

Not sure about the "weed" issue! I guess what you are talking about
are a Paulownia tormentosa (syn. P. imperialis) and definatley not
related to Poinciana! This is a tree from China growing up to 50ft
tall - and yes indeed wery farst the first years, I would say up to
5-6ft the first year. But it does not send out runners and it does not
flower the first years! So it will deffinately not pop up in your lawn
the first years - what happens when it do flower and set seed i don't
know though! I think the other guys have an other plant in mind!
best wishes
Old 13-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Pam - gardengal

It can actually put on upto 10-12' feet annually when established (it is
often cooppiced each year to maintain a smaller size and increase foliage
production) and is not the slightest bit invasive in many cooler parts of
the country where the seeds are unable to ripen. And while it can colonize
areas, it demures to hardier competition in time, so should not be
considered a threatening exotic species. The wood is soft and can be brittle
when green but is hard and strong once dried and is extremely valuable for
furniture making and construction purposes, specially in Asia where it
orginated and where other timber sources are in short supply.

No relation to poinciana.

http://www.mediterraneangardensociet...tomentosa.html

pam - gardengal

Old 14-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

in
om:

Hi Bill

Not sure about the "weed" issue! I guess what you are talking about
are a Paulownia tormentosa (syn. P. imperialis) and definatley not
related to Poinciana!

http://www.google.com/search?q=Paulo...ceae%20weed%20
&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

This is a tree from China growing up to 50ft
tall - and yes indeed wery farst the first years, I would say up to
5-6ft the first year. But it does not send out runners and it does not
flower the first years! So it will deffinately not pop up in your lawn
the first years - what happens when it do flower and set seed i don't
know though!

seems to be a weed in eastern wet summer climates

Old 04-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Registered User

The Royal Empress Tree or Paulownia is definitely not a weed. In fact, it is one of the fastest growing trees in the world. These trees can shoot up to 15 ft. in a year and make for amazing trees to have in a spacious garden. The Paulownia Tree wood, as Pam says is extremely valuable and any furniture or woodwork crafted with this wood holds amazing collectible value.
Royal Empress Trees thrive well in growing zones 5-11 in the United States.
For More Details Visit Us At:-
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/paulownia.htm
Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Registered User

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/EmpressTree.htm
Old 25-03-2008, 06:45 AM
Registered User

Great tree.

I would recommend it to anyone that wants shade fast.

The springtime flowers are also pretty impressive.