Old 15-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Jason

Default Shade grow vs. Sun Grow Areca Palms

Hello,

I just bought some Areca Palms and they asked if I wanted shade grow
or sun Grown.. The area I'm putting them in is more indirect sun...

I probably should have gotten sun grown but I got the shade grown..
Now after a week in the yard most of the leaves tips are turning brown
and many of the leaves totally brown and fell off.

I water the plants well and am located in Miami Florida..

I assume this is because of the sun.. Will they adapt? or should I
plant them only in a Real Shady area?

Thanks

Old 22-04-2004, 01:03 AM
how

"Jason" wrote in message
om...
snips
I just bought some Areca Palms and they asked if I wanted shade grow
or sun Grown.. The area I'm putting them in is more indirect sun...
I water the plants well and am located in Miami Florida..
I assume this is because of the sun.. Will they adapt? or should I
plant them only in a Real Shady area?

Hi,
Yes the sun grown would have done better. If you bought three/five gallon
pots of Dypsis lutescens then there are probably many plants in each pot
which means overcrowded so there will be deaths. I think the plants will
recover but months will go by. Are they in the ground yet? They will be
tougher to maintain in pots.

HTH, how
to reply no "NEWS" is good

Old 23-04-2004, 05:05 AM
Jason

Thanks for your reply.. They are not in the ground yet and I bough
some in 15 gallon pots which are doing ok.. and also 2 of them in 25
gallon pots.. Those are they ones that are dying.. Maybe because they
are so tall (about 9-10 feet) and get more sun.

"how" wrote in message ...
"Jason" wrote in message
om...
snips
I just bought some Areca Palms and they asked if I wanted shade grow
or sun Grown.. The area I'm putting them in is more indirect sun...
I water the plants well and am located in Miami Florida..
I assume this is because of the sun.. Will they adapt? or should I
plant them only in a Real Shady area?

Hi,
Yes the sun grown would have done better. If you bought three/five gallon
pots of Dypsis lutescens then there are probably many plants in each pot
which means overcrowded so there will be deaths. I think the plants will
recover but months will go by. Are they in the ground yet? They will be
tougher to maintain in pots.

HTH, how
to reply no "NEWS" is good

[IMG] code is On

Butterfly (Areca) Palm linda porter United Kingdom 5 20-07-2010 05:37 PM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 10:51 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 07:32 AM
Free Areca, Fishtail palms Rick DeBay Gardening 0 17-04-2003 11:08 PM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 05:15 AM