Old 17-04-2004, 08:19 PM
Olushola

Default Square Foot Gardening

Having never grown food before, I going to give this a try as it doesn't
seem to labor intensive. A few questions:

Is this really legit?

Is 6 inches enough for the roots?

What vegetables are not compatible with this system?

Thanks
Olushola

Old 17-04-2004, 08:21 PM
JewelOfTheGnarf

My father in law swears by this method. It really works, and I use a lot of
the techniques in my veggie garden. I've grown everything from radish to
broccoli this way.
Get the book, it will help a lot.
Old 17-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Tom Randy

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:27:17 -0400, Olushola wrote:

Having never grown food before, I going to give this a try as it doesn't
seem to labor intensive. A few questions:

Is this really legit?

Sure is! A LOT of folks do it and it really works.

Is 6 inches enough for the roots?

For the most part. 6-12 is ideal.

What vegetables are not compatible with this system?

I can't think of any of hand....corn will even grow using the system if
you plant enough to pollinate. 1 per sqaure foot for corn,
peppers,tomatos.

Thanks
Olushola

Tom
Old 18-04-2004, 02:06 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Olushola" wrote:

Having never grown food before, I going to give this a try as it doesn't
seem to labor intensive. A few questions:

Is this really legit?

Is 6 inches enough for the roots?

What vegetables are not compatible with this system?

Thanks
Olushola

The book is a bit outdated and suggests greater than 6" depth, but the
website has more up to date info.

A tremendous amount of info about crops is based upon large commercial
farmers that grow acres of one type of vegetable and use machines to
harvest them. This has nothing to do with the home gardener. So things
like row width are useless concepts. Sq. ft. works. I believe he even
showed that 9 inch carrots grew in 6in boxes because the tap root ran
along the bottom, create a 90-degree angle in the carrot.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
Old 29-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Tom Engel

A few years back for my first veggie garden I used this method. It is
helpful for a beginner and actually is a good guide even when one gets more
experience. Randy

Old 29-06-2004, 05:04 PM
David Kotschessa

--

I started one this year.. Have never grown vegatables before. I don't
even get really optimal light in the 4X4' spot, but stuff is growling like

According to the guy who wrote the book on square foot gardening (which I
haven't read yet), the reason 6 inches is enough is because you are using
such an optimal soil mix that the roots do not need to go that deep to get
what they need. Good compost is the key. The mix is 1/3 peat moss, 1/3
vermiculite (NOT, I reapeat NOT perlite!) and 1/3 compost.

Because of the way this thing is built, you don' worry much about weeds
(some seeds managed to get in mine, but no biggie) and it doesn't matter
what the soil is where you live because you won't be using it.

I can't imagine anything being "not compatible" with it. "Square Food
Gardening" is not really anything that extreme. It's just a name that is
given to market a different way of doing things. The things that make it
what it is are the soil mix, depth, and planting in squares instead of
rows (much more space efficient).

My biggest mistake I think is that i used too many seeds. I wasn't ready
to believe I could put two or three seeds into a square and something
would grow. I'm not that experienced anyway. I just kind of thought that
you always have to stick a bunch of seeds in soil and if you put enough
in, something will grow! But it's as if ALL the seeds I planted sprouted
so my garden is a little crowded this year.