GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hardy Bamboo (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/59584-hardy-bamboo.html)

Gallagher 21-04-2004 10:02 PM

Hardy Bamboo

My hardy bamboo is still brown and frowsy looking. In a Zone 5/6 is this
unusual? The canes still look green, but the leaves are toast.

Thanks!

Cereus-validus 21-04-2004 10:03 PM

Hardy Bamboo

Consider yourself lucky.
Most hardy bamboo are rampant weeds.

Travis 22-04-2004 09:02 AM

Hardy Bamboo

Gallagher wrote:

My hardy bamboo is still brown and frowsy looking. In a Zone 5/6 is this
unusual? The canes still look green, but the leaves are toast.

Thanks!

What kind of bamboo is it?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Beecrofter 22-04-2004 03:02 PM

Hardy Bamboo

"Gallagher" wrote in message ...
My hardy bamboo is still brown and frowsy looking. In a Zone 5/6 is this
unusual? The canes still look green, but the leaves are toast.

Thanks!

Winterburn
We had a period of severe cold coupled with dessicating winds. Many of
the bamboos had near total leaf burn. When the new culms come up and
leaf out the old ones should releaf unless the cold was so severe as
to kill the leaf buds or even the side branches.
What kind are you growing?

hermine stover 24-05-2004 05:02 AM

Hardy Bamboo

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:28:32 -0400, "Gallagher"
wrote:

My hardy bamboo is still brown and frowsy looking. In a Zone 5/6 is this
unusual? The canes still look green, but the leaves are toast.

Thanks!

This is normal. by the time you read this, you should have fresh green
foliage and a shooting of new canes, feel free to prune away unsightly
canes from previous years after the new shoots are woody.

hermine stover

The Watcher 24-05-2004 05:03 AM

Hardy Bamboo

wrote:

My hardy bamboo is still brown and frowsy looking. In a Zone 5/6 is this
unusual? The canes still look green, but the leaves are toast.

Thanks!

This is normal. by the time you read this, you should have fresh green
foliage and a shooting of new canes, feel free to prune away unsightly
canes from previous years after the new shoots are woody.

hermine stover

I have 7 different varieties of bamboo growing around my place, and they all
seem to have their own preference for weather conditions. I even planted several
clumps of one variety in different places. Some clumps, even though they're the
same type of bamboo are behaving differently, with shoots coming up in some
places and nothing happening in others. Maybe it's the microclimates.

Beecrofter 24-05-2004 03:05 PM

Hardy Bamboo

Zone 5/6 if it was in a pot on the ground it might just be toast. We
did have a rough winter.
If it is in the ground most are shooting now.
Coastal CT, the yellowgrrove shoots are an inch or more thick and man
high in the most favorable spots.

As for Cereus, never argue with a fool-bystanders can't tell you
apart.

hermine stover 27-05-2004 08:03 AM

Hardy Bamboo

On 24 May 2004 06:59:40 -0700, (Beecrofter) wrote:

Zone 5/6 if it was in a pot on the ground it might just be toast. We
did have a rough winter.
If it is in the ground most are shooting now.
Coastal CT, the yellowgrrove shoots are an inch or more thick and man
high in the most favorable spots.

As for Cereus, never argue with a fool-bystanders can't tell you
apart.

Earlier post, somebody mentioned microclimates, very important
issue,plants in a garden can flourish in one locaation and languish in
another not fifty feet apart.

Yellowgroove, P. aureosulcata, is a VERY HARDY DURABLE bamboo. folks
have planted it in PA where strip mining had all but ruined the earth,
and other attempts to establish a green cover had failed. I find every
season with bamboo is different, the times for shooting and so forth.
this has been so in Boston, and now in California.

don't argue with who? hardly!

hermine