Old 22-04-2004, 02:02 AM
contrapositive

Default Pumpkins on a Slope? Do Deer Eat Pumpkins? (etc.)

I'm in Pittsburgh (Zone 5) and would like to put some pumpkins in my
backyard. There's a grassy area that slopes up toward the northwest, and
from about 10AM until sunset, it gets good sun. The flat areas nearby are
prone to standing water, but this area is sheltered and the soil drains
fairly well.

So, are there any problems putting pumpkins here? How steep is too steep?
(obviously not so steep that the pumpkins go rolling down the hill at some
point.)

How much sod do I have to remove? I plan on starting my seeds in containers.

One other potential problem: deer. Do deer typically go after pumpkins?
(I've heard it's not their first choice.) What's a good repellent?

Thanks in advance.

-jk