Old 25-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Paul Paulsen

Default Dumb(?) Q

My wife says poppies can be grown from bulbs -- can they?
Thanks
Paul

Old 25-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Brian

No! But genetic engineering might get around to it someday!
Best Wishes Brian.
newsYPic.31627$GR.3951690@attbi_s01...

Old 25-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Cereus-validus

Name a poppy that is bulbous.

Oriental poppies are tuberous rooted.

Old 25-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Cereus-validus

Oh really, Brain?

You want to be an engineer on that genetic choo-choo train?

Maybe someday a man will walk on Uranus too?

Old 25-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Brian

Must be nice to have a wife who is wrong at times? I've never had one.
Pretty but not pretty stupid!!
Ask her to forgive me~~Best Wishes

Old 25-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Brian

Romping on the carpet, just now, with my grandson, I'm sure he did walk on
it!! Feels like it anyway.
Best Wishes.
. ..

Old 25-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Cereus-validus

Don't be so quick to judge, Brian.

Maybe she knows something you don't?
Did you ever consider that?
Do you know the growth form of every species in the Papaveraceae?

Old 25-04-2004, 05:04 PM
nina

*lightblulb*
Is THAT whats coming up in my garden??

Old 25-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Brian

Yes thank you. The Papaveraceae are dicots. By definition only
monocotyledonous plants have bulbs. Nevertheless, had it been my wife, I
would have agreed with her!!
There is, however, a poppy known as the 'Tulip Poppy' [P. glaucum] and
this could confuse? The RHS does describe some of the fruits as 'bulbous'.
Best Wishes
.. .

Old 25-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Cereus-validus

Not true that only monocots can be true bulbs.

There are a number of Oxalis that are true bulbs and some species of
Dicentra fit the definition as well. There are probably more examples among
the dicots.

The fruit of some poppy species are bulbous shaped but they are actually
dehiscent capsules.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Janice

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:30:44 GMT, "Paul Paulsen"
wrote:

My wife says poppies can be grown from bulbs -- can they?
Thanks
Paul

Most named varieties are propagated by root cuttings, could be she's
mistaken those for "bulbs." They're generally taken in the late
summer when the poppies are dormant ..or as dormant as they get for
you.

Don't feel too bad, some people call crocus and gladioli corms bulbs
too.

Janice

[IMG] code is On

Dumb plant questions Texensis Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Possibly dumb tomato and pepper question Mark Edible Gardening 2 27-03-2003 02:20 PM
Dumb Question... Natty_Dread Gardening 4 06-03-2003 07:27 PM
Dumb Question... (in this newsgroup? What are the odds?) Cereoid+10+ Gardening 1 06-03-2003 05:27 PM
Clear-cutting Colorado a dumb idea Donald L Ferrt alt.forestry 0 08-12-2002 05:20 PM