GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Feeding clematis (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/59856-re-feeding-clematis.html)

Pam - gardengal 25-04-2004 04:02 PM

Feeding clematis

"me" me@home wrote in message
Sorry if this has been asked a million times... How often are you
supposed to feed your clematis plants, and what would the best food
be. So far I have been using 5-9-8 'So-Green' vine & clematis food.

Thanks,
Luca

Clematis gurus suggest the intial fertilizing in late February or March when
the vines are pruned and again in June or dose with a liquid fertilizer at
three week intervals during the growing season.

Personally, I fertilize about now (I use an organic rose fertilizer) and
that's it. And I don't necessarily fertilize all my clematis vines. I skip
the very vigorous ones like Sweet Autumn, armandii and the montanas,
otherwise the monsters would overtake and engulf the entire garden. I do
mulch with compost annually, though.

pam - gardengal

Julie 26-04-2004 06:02 AM

Feeding clematis

Pam - gardengal wrote:

Personally, I fertilize about now (I use an organic rose fertilizer)

I do the same thing. I fertilize my roses and clematis at the same time, in
spring and again in late summer, using rose fertilizer.

--

Julie
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=3008861