Old 25-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Jim Caldwell

Default Plse identify this tree....

I am in Texas, and there is a tree here that is not very common, but there
are some around. It is an evergreen, but nothing like a pine, they are sort
of like a 50-80 ft. tall bush. It doesn't have conventional "leaves". It has
the finest, most feathery foliage of any tree I have ever seen... it's like
feathery stalks, and the foliage extends almost down to ground level.
Reminds you of a Peacocks' plume, the way the stalks of foliage grow. The
foliage is always a dark green. You see these trees growing in rows a lot as
a windbreak. The tree grows very tall, but doesn't have a wide canopy. They
create very dense shade. I think they like water, as I see them often
growing on the edge of ponds (no, it is not Cypress!) I thought it was
called Cottonwood, but then I found an actual Cottonwood pic on-line and it
is nothing like a Cottonwood tree. I would like to get some for my back
fence, but I don't know what to ask for. Any idea what it is?

Old 25-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Jim Caldwell

I should add that they are non-flowering, and the trunk and branches grow
almost completely straight/vertically.

Old 25-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Brian

It will have had flowers though you might not have noticed them. Could have
been inconspicuous. Non-flowering plants are from the ferns downwards.
Best Wishes.

Old 26-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Elizabeth

Leyland Cypress?
Cupressocyparis leylandii.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 26-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Charles

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:07:16 -0500, "Jim Caldwell"
wrote:

[...]

Tamarisk comes to mind.

http://www.nps.gov/whsa/tamarisk.htm

http://www.cpluhna.nau.edu/Biota/tamarisk.htm

I did an image search on Google, I can't say that I have ever seen it
growing like those pictures.

--

- Charles
-

Old 26-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Jim Caldwell

Its neither of those. It does not have even close to a Christmas tree shape
as the Leyland Cypress has, and it is a true tree, growing very tall, unlike
tamarisk....and tamarisk has pink flowers which this tree does not have. I
have not ever noticed any blossoms on them, but then evergreens don't
"blossom" with flowers as deciduous trees do, do they? They usually are
somewhat narrower at the base of the tree than at the top, and you can't
walk under them, as there is not a single main trunk going up for several
feet before branching out. In that sense it resembles a shrub...but an
evergreen shrub that is up to 80 ft. tall. I will try to get a picture of
one soon and post on my "blog" page, then it will be easy for someone to
identify.

Old 28-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Charles

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 04:40:05 GMT, wrote:

Tamarisk comes to mind.

http://www.nps.gov/whsa/tamarisk.htm

er...why is the webpage in greek??

Just lucky? It is in English on my machine.
--

- Charles
-
Old 01-05-2004, 09:02 PM