Old 25-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Paul Ostrof

Default compost-sun or shade

Is it better to keep a compost pile in the sun or in the shade?

Paul Ostrof

Old 25-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 09:21:04 -0700, Paul Ostrof wrote:

Is it better to keep a compost pile in the sun or in the shade?

Paul Ostrof

You generally want to keep your compost in the sun if you can. Try to
treat your pile as if it were a living plant. Give it water regularly and
air (flipping). Equal amounts of green and brown ( carbon and cellous) and
you'll good compost in no time...
Good luck.

Old 26-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Fred Garvin

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:21:04 -0400, Paul Ostrof wrote:

Is it better to keep a compost pile in the sun or in the shade?

Paul Ostrof

Sun.
Old 26-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Sunflower

"Paul Ostrof" wrote in message
Is it better to keep a compost pile in the sun or in the shade?

Paul Ostrof

Compost piles in the shade tend to get invaded by the roots of the tree that
is providing that shade.

Old 26-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Paul Ostrof said:

Is it better to keep a compost pile in the sun or in the shade?

It's best to keep a compost pile where it's convenient. That's far more
important than the sun or shade issue. Build them right, and they heat
from within.

Tree roots can invade from quite a distance. Once more reason to build
hot pile with some sort of aeration grates underneath.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Compostman

I do all my composting in shade. It's cooler for me and my compost stays
hot.
------------------------------
John Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7
"Paul Ostrof" wrote in message
Is it better to keep a compost pile in the sun or in the shade?

Paul Ostrof

[IMG] code is On

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM
Sun and shade MAC North Carolina 5 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:37 AM
Sun in Summer, Shade in Winter Katie Tarrant Australia 0 19-03-2003 05:08 AM