Old 25-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Sam

Default help on IDing cactus seed

hi folks,

i got 2 packets of mixed cactus seed, labelled as mixed seed. i wonder
if anyone could provide me with some pointers on how to ID them.

both packets were from different brands but they contain the same
three types. i take this as that either they are the 3 most common or
cheapest seeds or that they are the threee most easy to grow.

-one type looks like a small shrivelled pea.
-the other is small, black and shiny and bean shaped. reminds me of a
flea without legs
-the other is similar in shape and colour but much larger.about 5mm
long

Any idea what they are? Thanks

Sam
Old 25-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Cereus-validus

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

You are asking the same freaking question on rec.gardens, sci.bio.botany,
uk.rec.gardening and who knows where else but it doesn't matter where you
post it because the answers will still be the same. You can't ID Cactaceae
from the seeds alone. Next time don't buy Cactaceae as mixed seed because
you are getting a pig in a poke and you shouldn't expect anything choice to
come from them. Expect to get plants of the junk species or unidentifiable
garden hybrids.

*************************

Cactaceae are extremely variable in seed form but it is very difficult to
identify species by the seeds because species in different genera can have
similar looking seeds.

Grow plants from the seeds. Wait until they bloom and then you can have them
identified.

om...

Old 26-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus" wrote in
:

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

most computer weenies call that multi-posting (posting seperately to
multiple newsgroups).

Crossposting = posting one message to multiple newgroups by specifing
multiple groups in the newsgroup line

Old 27-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Ann

Salty Thumb expounded:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in
:

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

most computer weenies call that multi-posting (posting seperately to
multiple newsgroups).

Crossposting = posting one message to multiple newgroups by specifing
multiple groups in the newsgroup line

Did you happen to notice the groups this was *cross* posted to? (not
this reply, I'm sticking to rec.gardens). It was crossposted to
rec.gardens, sci.bio.botany and uk.rec.gardening.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Salty Thumb

"Cereus-validus" wrote in news:Vi_ic.7$JA1.5
@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com:

Okay then,

Sam, you are one multi-posting maniac.

We can forget about Sam's original question and now quibble over

computer
weenie lingo!!!

Are you happy now, Salty?

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
"Cereus-validus" wrote in
:

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

most computer weenies call that multi-posting (posting seperately to
multiple newsgroups).

Crossposting = posting one message to multiple newgroups by specifing
multiple groups in the newsgroup line

yay! but I rather quibble over whether Sam is actually a maniac or only
marginally perturbed.

Let's ask him what is the better substitute for water, hydrofluoric acid
or ammonia.

Old 27-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Ann wrote in news:f6es801ra8eo68bk5jqdtkhqe03b5mkt5t@
4ax.com:

Salty Thumb expounded:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in
m:

Sam, you are one cross-posting maniac.

most computer weenies call that multi-posting (posting seperately to
multiple newsgroups).

Crossposting = posting one message to multiple newgroups by specifing
multiple groups in the newsgroup line

Did you happen to notice the groups this was *cross* posted to? (not
this reply, I'm sticking to rec.gardens). It was crossposted to
rec.gardens, sci.bio.botany and uk.rec.gardening.

The originating message for this particular thread (going by the

Newsgroups: rec.gardens
was posted to rec.gardens only.

I took Cereoid's word for it that the message was also posted seperately
(multi-posted) to the groups (sci.bio.botany, uk.rec.gardening) he added
in his crossposted reply.

Newsgroups: rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,uk.rec.gardening
but here is the message-id for the identical seperately posted
sci.bio.botany message anyway,

Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany
which has an additional different reply from Cereoid. (The crossposted
reply may or may not also show up depending on several factors, including
whether you have kill xpost activated and how your newsreader threads
articles).

Ergo, the original message was multi-posted.
Old 29-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Ann

Salty Thumb expounded:

Newsgroups: rec.gardens

Newsgroups: rec.gardens,sci.bio.botany,uk.rec.gardening

Newsgroups: sci.bio.botany
which has an additional different reply from Cereoid. (The crossposted
reply may or may not also show up depending on several factors, including
whether you have kill xpost activated and how your newsreader threads
articles).

Ergo, the original message was multi-posted.

Ah, yes, I see that now. Cereoid crossposted because of the
multiposting. Sorry, took a bit!

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

[IMG] code is On

help on IDing cactus seed Sam United Kingdom 10 01-05-2004 06:04 AM
help on IDing cactus seed Sam Plant Science 5 27-04-2004 06:12 PM
help on IDing cactus seed Sam Texas 0 25-04-2004 07:03 PM
help on IDing cactus seed Sam Australia 0 25-04-2004 07:03 PM
Need help IDing grass in yard. John T McDougald Lawns 3 09-10-2003 01:34 AM