Old 26-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Tony Sivori

Default Cub Cadet vs Husqvarna self propelled mowers

I'm looking for advice regarding which of these two mowers is the better
one (giving equal weight to best to actually use and most reliable).

One is a Cub Cadet 6.5 HP 21" Cut Self-Propelled Mower, Model
12A-997A712. It has a Kawasaki motor.

Are Kawasaki motors as reliable as Honda's?

You can see it he
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...70-12A-997A712
if link wraps:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22922F18

The other is a Husqvarna 5.5 HP 21" Self-Propelled Mower, Model 55R21HV.
It has a Honda motor.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...-41798-55R21HV
or if link wraps:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?O3B816F18

The yard to be mowed is medium sized, and is almost flat. There is a
slight grade toward the street, just enough for drainage.

Last, is there a better mower than either of these two in this price range
($500 or less)?

--
Tony Sivori

Old 27-04-2004, 05:04 PM
FarmerDill

[...]

Both are good engines. Note tho, that the engine is not the weakest point of a
well maintained lawn mower. The Japanese engines are very durable, but it is
amazing how many of them are destroyed by poor maintenance such as running them
without oil. Parts cost an arm and two legs so if you are able and willing to
keep your mower in top condition ( good fresh oil topped off, clean and oil
moving parts etc the engines will still outlast the frame.) The other major
destructor is leaving them outside with a tarp over them. If you abuse the
machine then an el cheapo will run as long and with lower repair cost. Bottom
line:Top quality machines are worth it only if you are willing to maintain them
properly.
Old 29-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Tony Sivori

FarmerDill wrote:

Tony Sivori wrote:
I'm looking for advice regarding which of these two mowers is the better
one (giving equal weight to best to actually use and most reliable).

One is a Cub Cadet 6.5 HP 21" Cut Self-Propelled Mower, Model
12A-997A712. It has a Kawasaki motor.

Are Kawasaki motors as reliable as Honda's?

The other is a Husqvarna 5.5 HP 21" Self-Propelled Mower, Model 55R21HV.
It has a Honda motor.

Both are good engines.

I was a little concerned about the Kawasaki. They make great motorcycle
engines but as far as I know they don't make automobile engines, and I had
never seen a lawnmower with a Kawasaki engine. So I didn't know if their
lack of experience (compared to Honda) would be a factor.

Note tho, that the engine is not the weakest point of a well maintained
lawn mower. The Japanese engines are very durable, but it is amazing how
many of them are destroyed by poor maintenance such as running them
without oil. Parts cost an arm and two legs so if you are able and
willing to keep your mower in top condition ( good fresh oil topped off,
clean and oil moving parts etc the engines will still outlast the
frame.) The other major destructor is leaving them outside with a tarp
over them. If you abuse the machine then an el cheapo will run as long
and with lower repair cost. Bottom line:Top quality machines are worth
it only if you are willing to maintain them properly.

Agreed, and no problems there.

--
Tony Sivori

Old 29-04-2004, 05:08 PM
FarmerDill

I was a little concerned about the Kawasaki. They make great motorcycle
engines but as far as I know they don't make automobile engines, and I had
never seen a lawnmower with a Kawasaki engine. So I didn't know if their
lack of experience (compared to Honda) would be a factor.

All the commercial grade John Deeres use Kawasaki engines as do several others
in the commercial class.