GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   backyard fly problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/59922-backyard-fly-problem.html)

Surfgeotwo 26-04-2004 03:03 AM

backyard fly problem

we have 2 dogs, and i clean up after them weekly at a minimum. the patio gets
inundated with flies during the warm season, and i se no noticeable difference
if i clean up after the dogs daily. fly strips catch a bunch of flies but
reinforcements are quick to arrive so no real progress is noticable.

any suggestions??

i was wondering is an auromatic sprayer like those mosquitos would work, but i
dont really want to continuously fog my backyard and patio with insecticides.

anyone have experience with the commercial fly catchers that supposedly use a
fly attractant?

close to surrender here....

Salty Thumb 26-04-2004 03:03 AM

backyard fly problem

(Surfgeotwo) wrote in
:

we have 2 dogs, and i clean up after them weekly at a minimum. the
patio gets inundated with flies during the warm season, and i se no
noticeable difference if i clean up after the dogs daily. fly strips
catch a bunch of flies but reinforcements are quick to arrive so no
real progress is noticable.

any suggestions??

i was wondering is an auromatic sprayer like those mosquitos would
work, but i dont really want to continuously fog my backyard and patio
with insecticides.

anyone have experience with the commercial fly catchers that
supposedly use a fly attractant?

close to surrender here....

they sell a fly trap that works pretty well. it's pretty much a plastic
jar with a fancy top and a packet of attractant/poison. guess what the
attractant smells like?

you have to remember to replace the trap after a few days, because flies
will lay eggs in it and damned if I didn't see maggots crawl out.

yes the attractant smells like sh*t. literally.

[email protected] 26-04-2004 04:02 PM

backyard fly problem

we got the same problem. I throw sudsy water out on the area to keep down the smell,
but the best is we got one of those containers with a lid and all the dumps go in
there. it doesnt have a tight lid, one of those you step on a peddle and the top
lifts. well on the underside of the lid I put one of those "vapona" no pest strips.
so the flies go to that and are killed. Ingrid

(Surfgeotwo) wrote:

we have 2 dogs, and i clean up after them weekly at a minimum. the patio gets
inundated with flies during the warm season, and i se no noticeable difference
if i clean up after the dogs daily. fly strips catch a bunch of flies but
reinforcements are quick to arrive so no real progress is noticable.

any suggestions??

i was wondering is an auromatic sprayer like those mosquitos would work, but i
dont really want to continuously fog my backyard and patio with insecticides.

anyone have experience with the commercial fly catchers that supposedly use a
fly attractant?

close to surrender here....

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Beecrofter 26-04-2004 10:02 PM

backyard fly problem

(Surfgeotwo) wrote in message ...
we have 2 dogs, and i clean up after them weekly at a minimum. the patio gets
inundated with flies during the warm season, and i se no noticeable difference
if i clean up after the dogs daily. fly strips catch a bunch of flies but
reinforcements are quick to arrive so no real progress is noticable.

any suggestions??

i was wondering is an auromatic sprayer like those mosquitos would work, but i
dont really want to continuously fog my backyard and patio with insecticides.

anyone have experience with the commercial fly catchers that supposedly use a
fly attractant?

close to surrender here....

A chemical poison with an attractant works well "Golden Malrin" was
the brand name
Also when I raised rabbits I used fly parasites from an outfit called
Aarbico.
These are fruit fly sized wasps that parasitize fly pupae and
reproduce as long as the flys do.