GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   need hand crank shredder for compost bin ... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/59934-need-hand-crank-shredder-compost-bin.html)

CompostJones 26-04-2004 06:02 AM

need hand crank shredder for compost bin ...

I have a rotating compost bin that I feed vegetable scraps to every week.
Problem some items: apple cores, egg shells, banana peels (IMO) need
further chopping. It's pain to dump the items onto a chopping board
and cut up with a knife then transfer to the bin.

So, does anyone know of or has built a hand-crank shredder?
An idea I have is one based on the current paper shredders.
It woould have larger circular cutting wheels
with a larger spacing between the wheels for the kitchen scraps.

Anyone?

FROGSPAWN 09-07-2005 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompostJones
I have a rotating compost bin that I feed vegetable scraps to every week.
Problem some items: apple cores, egg shells, banana peels (IMO) need
further chopping. It's pain to dump the items onto a chopping board
and cut up with a knife then transfer to the bin.

So, does anyone know of or has built a hand-crank shredder?
An idea I have is one based on the current paper shredders.
It woould have larger circular cutting wheels
with a larger spacing between the wheels for the kitchen scraps.

Anyone?

Try using a "fruit shredder", this is a wine making device.

FROGSPAWN 09-07-2005 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompostJones
I have a rotating compost bin that I feed vegetable scraps to every week.
Problem some items: apple cores, egg shells, banana peels (IMO) need
further chopping. It's pain to dump the items onto a chopping board
and cut up with a knife then transfer to the bin.

So, does anyone know of or has built a hand-crank shredder?
An idea I have is one based on the current paper shredders.
It woould have larger circular cutting wheels
with a larger spacing between the wheels for the kitchen scraps.

Anyone?

Try using a "fruit shredder", this is a wine making device. Frogspawn