Old 26-04-2004, 04:06 PM
SRR

Default Transplanting tulip bulbs

Now that my tulips have bloomed and gone, I've decided they need to be
moved to a more convenient bed. Can the bulbs be transplanted now, any
time, or during September or October as if they were just purchased,
brand new bulbs?

Thanks,

SRR
Old 26-04-2004, 06:02 PM
SugarChile

If you just have a few, and don't mind being a bit fussy with them, you can
move them now. Use a spade to dig all around them, and lever them up with a
lot of dirt around them. The idea is to dig deeply and widely enough that
you disturb the roots as little as possible. Put them in their new spot
right away, and water them in.

If you have a lot of them to deal with, you can do them anytime after the
foliage browns and withers. You can use the withered foliage as a clue for
where to dig. You will inevitably spear a few of them despite your best
efforts....After you move them, you can water a bit to settle the earth in
around them, but no other supplemental watering is necessary for the rest of
the summer. Water in the fall, when root growth begins, if you don't have a
reasonable amount of rain.

That said, be aware that tulips are chancy endeavor; they don't return
reliably like daffodils and hyacinths. Some varieties are more perennial
than others, and a lot depends on your climate and weather, but I treat any
returning tulips as a bonus, not a given.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA
om...

Old 27-04-2004, 01:02 AM
bill

You could have more fun if you wait until the leaves turn brown:

When you dig up the bulbs to transplant them, you'll find little
bulblets. Plant these somewhere you aren't looking for flowers, but
the same soil type. When these little bulbs bloom, wait one day and
then cut off the flower. It's ok to cut off the whole stem to use in
an arrangement. Keep doing this for a few years and your little
bulblets will grow into big (read expensive) tulip bulbs. Eventually,
the larger bulbs get worn out because they are "wasting" energy making
seeds, etc. That's why you have to cut off the flower of the little
guys, so they put their energy into the bulb instead of seeds.

Bill

"SRR" wrote in message
om...
Now that my tulips have bloomed and gone, I've decided they need to

be
moved to a more convenient bed. Can the bulbs be transplanted now,

any
time, or during September or October as if they were just purchased,
brand new bulbs?

Thanks,

SRR

[IMG] code is On

Time to plant tulip bulbs? dommy Gardening 2 24-09-2003 08:12 PM
Tulip bulbs michael2 United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 02:32 PM
Where do I buy Tulip bulbs from? dommy United Kingdom 11 25-06-2003 08:31 PM
tulip bulbs in the fridge? Dianne van Dulken Australia 5 08-04-2003 01:08 PM
tulip bulbs Gardening 1 14-03-2003 02:32 PM