Old 26-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Twobtold

Default White Birch

Hi --
Do all Betula papyrifera grow as multi-stemmed trees? I like the look of
the
trunk divided into 3 stems, gives the crown a fuller look.
So, does one plant the 'Paper White' Birch in clumps of 3 separate plants
close together? Or, does one hope that nature will perform this feat for the
gardner?
Thanks, Z6, NJ

Old 26-04-2004, 09:02 PM
David J Bockman

You should perhaps try to find specimens that are naturally already growing
as a clump... a trunk that divides into three parts higher up the trunk than
right at the soil line would become very weak with age.

Dave

Old 26-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Clumps are made by plating 2-4 liners in contact with one another in a
single hole. Usually this is not done with papyrifera. especially in NJ area
because of the species vulnerability to Bronze birch borer and birch leaf
miner. The more common clumper in the trade is Euro. white birch (B. alba)
and its CVs as well as river birch (B. nigra) its CVs.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 28-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Twobtold

From: "Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet

Clumps are made by plating 2-4 liners in contact with one another in a
single hole. Usually this is not done with papyrifera. especially in NJ area
because of the species vulnerability to Bronze birch borer and birch leaf
miner. The more common clumper in the trade is Euro. white birch (B. alba)
and its CVs as well as river birch (B. nigra) its CVs.

If I plant the White Birch(s) in Z6, NJ, then I WILL get birch borer?

Old 28-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Almost certainly. And, they do not fair well the summer heat we get here (in
southern piedmont and coastal plains areas).