Old 27-04-2004, 02:03 AM
heynow

Default Replanting Tulip and Daffodil Bulbs

Hi there-

We are preparing to build a deck off of our house, so I have dug up a
bunch of tulip and daffodil bulbs (among other plants) with the
intention of replanting them elsewhere. I suppose I should have done
my research ~before~ digging them up, but what is the best way to
ensure they survive to next year in their new home? Most still have
the green stalks (flowers are gone). We are in southern Ohio so I'm
fairly certain winter is over (though they are calling for low 30's
tonight!). Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 27-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"heynow" wrote in message
om...
Hi there-

We are preparing to build a deck off of our house, so I have dug up a
bunch of tulip and daffodil bulbs (among other plants) with the
intention of replanting them elsewhere. I suppose I should have done
my research ~before~ digging them up, but what is the best way to
ensure they survive to next year in their new home? Most still have
the green stalks (flowers are gone). We are in southern Ohio so I'm
fairly certain winter is over (though they are calling for low 30's
tonight!). Thanks in advance for your help!

You can replant them in their permanent new homes now or simply heel them in
until the new planting area is ready. Either way, the bulbs and roots need
to be covered to prevent drying and foliage should be left intact until it
ripens, browns and falls off on its own.

pam - gardengal

Old 27-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Brian

I have always been surprised how well they transplant. This is the best time
to do so for many bulbs. We often buy them 'In the green' [snowdrops] but
daffodils seem to do just as well.
Best Wishes.